Quicksilver Power Mac G4 HD help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor: 867 Mhz PowerPC G4 2MB L3 cache Memory: 1GB SDRAM Installed HD: IBM 57GB or 60GB
I just got a Quicksilver Power Mac G4 for christ mass.

Specs:
Processor: 867 Mhz PowerPC G4 2MB L3 cache
Memory: 1GB SDRAM
Installed HD: IBM (don't know exact model just know IBM and 57 GB(probly 60GB but only uses 57))

I have done some research on this issue but I take my Mac seriously so I need as much input as possible. I am new to the mac world and don't want to rush into anything.

The issue is i want to add a secondary HD to my mac, my mac has a the HD cable(dont know the name of what its called) and it has an extra spot for a HD on it and the casing. I have an old desktop PC that's motherboard was fried. I would like to know if my Samsung SV4002H will work with my mac it is an ATA/100 and from my research i found out that it will work but at a low RPM i beleive the RPM is 5400 and i dont know if it will work and if i try it and it dosnt work will it wreck my insalled HD or my data on my mac?

Thanks for anyhelp :DO:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is known as the IDE cable, and the Samsung will work probably at 7200 RPM. Trust the IBM is not one of the older 'DeskStar' models, known far and wide as the Deathstar for obvious reasons.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor: 867 Mhz PowerPC G4 2MB L3 cache Memory: 1GB SDRAM Installed HD: IBM 57GB or 60GB
ya but my other question is will it hurt my mac if not compatible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no Mac or Windows compatible drives, just IDE, EIDE, SATA, PATA or whatever they wish to call them. Just pop the drive in and format to mac OS Extended (Journalled) using Disk Utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for you help and giving me the positive advise, i tried the HD on my mac.
desktop.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good work and well done. Stay with these forums you will learn a lot about Macs. Quite surprised at the number of programmes you have opened, Finder (of course) widgets, Mail, etc etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.