Battery advice for PB

S

simon1

Any advice would be welcome.

I will be using my PB mostly at home so what is the best thing to do regarding the batttery?. When i'm at home, is it better if I use th PB plugged into the mains and keep the battery charged or should I be using the PB with battery only and charge when needed?.

Many thanks.

Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
What I heard from, I believe, MacAddict, the magazine, it is to remove the battery when plugged into the wall.. so that's what I do now. Although if the plug is accidentally kicked out or something like that, your machine will go down.. which isnt that great :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PowerBook G4 1GB ram 1,33Ghz superdrive,
i am using my PB without the battery at home.....i heard that it is better for the battery ...........

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For me the jury is still out on this one.

OP
B

Bluewolf

If you mainly have your PB plugged into the mains how often should you decharge your battery? And does decharging keep your battery healthy?

On a another matter my battery charging gauge never goes beyond 97% even though it is plugged into the mains. So I assume that my battery cannot be charged greater than 97%, Is there something wrong with battery?

OP
S

StarManta

Bluewolf: More than likely it's a problem with how OS X perceives your battery than the battery itself.

I personally think there's no harm in leaving the battery in while plugged in, but I'm not exactly an expert, so....

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
Bluewolf: More than likely it's a problem with how OS X perceives your battery than the battery itself.

How would I get my PB to fully perceive my battery? Or would this require a quick stop into an authorised Apple retailer?

OP
S

StarManta

I wouldn't worry about it, to be completely honest.... just get used to the lower percentage being your maximum. My maximum varies from 96 to 100, and i've just gotten used to the fact that 96 or above is "pretty much full". If it bothers you that much, I think there's some sort of reset that you can do, maybe?

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
I wouldn't worry about it, to be completely honest.... just get used to the lower percentage being your maximum. My maximum varies from 96 to 100, and i've just gotten used to the fact that 96 or above is "pretty much full". If it bothers you that much, I think there's some sort of reset that you can do, maybe?

I suppose 97% will have to do, but it is good to see that I am not the only one suffering from this problem.

OP
J

jolley

Bluewolf said:
I suppose 97% will have to do, but it is good to see that I am not the only one suffering from this problem.

You can also check the Apple website for updates pertaining to your PB model.
They had a bunch posted for my iBook... (Specifically for the battery that is.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
I think there was a post somewhere about this, that the battery will only go up to 90~ something percent. then once it falls down enough it'll charge up again to 100%.. But for me, i keep the battery in cuz like my power strip is unstable.. :) but i guess that's just me.

OP
C

cthree

It is best to keep the battery charged at all times. It does no harm and plenty of good to keep it trickle charging all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.