Reduce battery consumption by quitting apps?

Reaction score
Is it true that by double clicking the home button and quitting the apps by swiping them to the top reduces battery consumption?

Is there a shorter way to quit all of the apps than the method described above? E.g. sometimes you may have 16 apps that are opened and it's a little bit of a hassle to individually close them all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Since iOS 7 came in, Apps that aren't on the screen working, go into a Nap State, and therefore don't use up your Battery.
The caveat to this, is Apps that use Location Services and its Active within a given App, or Maps or a GPS App being used in the background.
So in short the answer is No, it doesn't necessarily save you battery life at all.

Now to close them all at once, this is something we all have been wanting for quite some time. I killall command, sort of thing, but again, No !! It can't be done unless you have a JB iPhone. You have to think though, its a lot easier now to just swipe up, and quickly at that to close all of your Apps. This way, you still have the option to keep 1 or 2 open if yo want.

OP
S
Reaction score
In that case there is no point in quitting the apps (swiping to the top) because by leaving them in its 'nap state' its quicker to open them. Right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
In that case there is no point in quitting the apps (swiping to the top) because by leaving them in its 'nap state' its quicker to open them. Right?

Hi Simonvee - not sure if you mentioned which iDevices are being discussed, i.e. iPads vs. iPhones or both (but makes no difference w/ the same iOS) - but I agree w/ the above and the other posters - apps in 'suspended mode' use virtually none of your battery (unless as stated wireless services may be active, so a consideration).

Now, I'm not sure the apps open any sooner if closed vs. suspended, but in the latter state, your settings should be preserved, so on re-opening, the status of the app should be the same. I do some 'primitive' multi-tasking on my iPad 2 (e.g. copying from one app, then opening another) so maintaining the same status helps - hopefully in iOS 8, multi-tasking will be better addressed to alleviate some of these issues.

Thus, bottom line is to just leave the apps suspended (w/i the issues discussed). Dave :)

Reaction score
If you do decide to close them you can speed it up a bit by using two fingers and swiping two at a time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.