Problems Clicking

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and actually joined because of this problem. I'm on a MacBook Pro, (a generation behind the current models it actually looks like a 17" PowerBook) and I'm having major problems in regards to clicking. My track pad is not recognizing any clicking at all. The clicker below the track pad (sorry about the lack of technically correct terms) will click but almost always interperate a single click as a double click. Basically, any time I try to select something it gets opened or a massive number of documents get highlighted.

Now I have tried various external mouses (or is it mice? I'm not sure) but one of two things has happened: 1.) I've tried various 3rd party mice and with those I can move the cursor, scroll and left click. However, I have been unable to right click with any of them. 2.) I tried to use a mac manufactured Pro Mouse that came with an old iMac. That mouse will move the cursor but not recognize any type of click.

Keep in mind all of the mouses I tried work when not plugged into my notebook. If anyone could try and give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
As far as your trackpad, you might have a hardware problem there that would have to be replaced, but a temporary fix would be to go into your mouse settings in the system preferences and make it so you can just click by tapping, and right click by tapping with two fingers.

And by default (if i remember correctly) when you plug in a mouse to your computer, the right click feature is turned off. You can change that in the system preferences as well.

Basically, just go to town in the mouse section and trackpad section of system preferences and that should help ya out.
:)

Reaction score
Just like what Kevin said, your trackpad may have hardware problems and I think you should consult your nearest MAC center to have it replaced or repaired though I would suggest that you have it replaced.

My friend had the same problem just like yours and he did the system preference fix and it worked just fine for a couple of days and it went back to it's broken behavior again.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput. I tried the system preferences but it doesn't help with an external mouse. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make an external mouse work? If I can get that to work I won't spend the $300+ (along with time away from my computer) it would cost to replace the entire bottom of my laptop.

Reaction score
Thanks Download USB Overdrive X for Mac - USB driver handles most mice, trackballs, other input devices. MacUpdate Mac Other Software Downloadsfor the imput. I tried the system preferences but it doesn't help with an external mouse. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make an external mouse work? If I can get that to work I won't spend the $300+ (along with time away from my computer) it would cost to replace the entire bottom of my laptop.
You could try a better mouse driver,
Try either of these...
Steermouse
USB Overdrive
both have demos for you to try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.