Quick Time Headaches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Guys,

since switching to the new MacBook I have been unable to view ANY video, and this includes normal Quick Time ones. I get the 'internet plugin missing' message and I am re-directed to the Microsoft Media page where I downloaded both Media Player and the supposed plugin update (Flip4Mac?). I installed both and God knows what is going on because upon reloading of Safari, the videos still do not play.

I then checked Quick Time itself via Finder and I get the message 'cannot open this application because it is not supported by the system'. What on earth is going on? I never had these issues with the iBook and no matter what I do to resolve them, it just isn't working. Can somebody help me please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I would remove Windows Media Player for starters then remove/download/reinstall quicktime. I have downloaded flip4mac on my imac and most any video plays through qickime (including wmv files).

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Thanks Matt, I will try that and post the results!

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone please enlighten me on this? I have uninstalled QuickTime as per suggestion and re-downloaded it from the Mac site but the result is the same. I suspect it lacks the plug-in it needs, but where do I get this plug-in from? What plug-in is it? It doesn't even tell me anymore what to download. I didn't use to have these issues on the iBook which died just before Xmas; ever since I 'upgraded' (yeah, right) to this MacBook, I cannot view ANYTHING anymore! If I go to the BBC News Website and click on ANY item of news (any video), Quick opens in multiple windows (3) and doesn't play. Please rescue me, at the moment I

*drum roll*

WISH I ONLY USED THE PC!!!

Now that's bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
have you tried perian. http://perian.org/
I only have that and flip4mac installed and it plays most everything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The BBC videos played on the ibook? I have been trying BBC's site on a G5 imac and the videos will not play even with latest version of Flip4Mac. I can play videos on the other news sites I visit. Will do some checking around and see what I can come up with.

Update, they say you need to download and install Real Player 10. Going there now and will report back.

It works but on the BBC site it's still defaulting to WMP and not playing so you click on a video and then click on Change how I view or Hear this at the bottom of the window and select Real. Seems the only way to play them on the BBC site.

OP
Stephanella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Travis, all BBC videos used to play fine and straight out of their own window. Will try something else and report back. Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
I get that missing plugin notification too - unfortunately it never says what plugin you need!

Try vlc - has almost every codec known to mankind, will play anything:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.