gainsaver a good site?

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a used macbook and was wondering if gainsaver.com was a good, legit, reputable website than has good reviews or is it known for bad service or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB SATA HDD
The latter (bad service), most likely. If you google Gainsaver, you'll find it has a 7 or 8/10 review average on some sites, but most of the 5-star reviews made were on the same day and the same "writing style". Be cautious.

BBB lists almost 300 customer complaints made in the past 3 years, which is not a good sign for a relatively small company. I also see a multipage thread on other forums dealing with complaints on Gainsaver. Many of the complaints are GS sending a different product than advertised. Then, when asked to exchange, GS either: 1) Takes back the product but doesn't send a new one; 2) Exchanges the item, but sends another irrelevant product; or 3) Doesn't respond when contacted

Tread caution.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok thanks any other good websites for used macbooks?

Craig's List...period. Almost all other websites you will pay too much.

- Nick

Reaction score
Gainsaver - avoid like the plague

I had the same bad experience with them.
They contacted me four days after they had told me my order would "ship today"
to tell me the computer had 'failed testing' and they would cancel the order.
I pointed out that they were advertising several other computers that would work for me and they told me they had none of them.
I called my credit card company and was told they had not cancelled the charges. I called Gainsaver back to ask them to cancel the transaction like they said they would, they were very evasive and shady about it. Everyone I spoke to told me they were the wrong person to talk to and one of them, 'Steve Harper' I believe was extremely rude, hung up on me several times.
After my experience with them I googled them and found a torrent of complaints, most of them complaining about non existent computers or having a terrible time getting their money back. From my experience and from what I have read I suspect they are running some sort of scam. Sadly, they requested a photo of my credit card and my driving license 'because my shipping an billing address are different' and I gave it to them. I called my bank back and they recommended cancelling my credit card, they felt there were too many fraud red flags with this company. I hope I get my $2000 back from them.

Reaction score
I have purchased from Wegener Media before and had a great experience.
They do not always have the absolute latest Macs but they seem to be honest about what they sell.
I bought a used 2006 MacBook Pro from Wegener and I got 5 years out of it. Not bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.