dead screen area - no reaction to clicks...

F

fsiedlok

Hi.
I think there is something really weird going on with my iBook - it has developed kind of dead area on the screen (bottom left, about 1cm from left and 1.5cm from bottom). First it was weird cos whilst browsing none of the links and buttons reacted (as there was no link). When I scrolled the page and the link was in other area it worked just fine. Tried with other applications (easy draw and finder) - it looks like clicking in this area does not do anything at all!!! Exactly like it was dead!!!
Any idea what could it be and what to do with that????
HELP!!!!

Cheers

Frank

OP
J

johnny5w

I've had the same problem for quite some time and haven't found a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Very strange...
I know it kind of old, but repair disk permissions and run crons (download macjanitor or onyX if you don't know how this works - can be found at versiontracker.com)

It sounds as though this area is being 'held' by another app...

Could it be a fault in exposé that is disabling the area? Try turning off exposé...

OP
J

johnny5w

Thanks for the suggestions. I use the maintain function of onyx (permissions, scripts) every few days. I'll try the macjanitor and expose ideas, though. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well macjanitor does the same as oynX I believe, so that probably isn't going to sort the problem...

Something else just occurred to me: Do you use Konfabulator? If so it could be a buggy widget that is occupying your screen corner...

Although it's unlikely that 2 people would be suffering that error...

OP
J

johnny5w

Well the error seems somewhat prevalent (after googling for help). I have used Konfabulator but don't use it anymore. However, I believe I had this problem before I started using it. I'll call Apple Care tomorrow and see if they know anything about this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep us posted!

Also maybe check the apple support boards...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.