the internet won't share

Reaction score
hi! you see our friends across the street recently got wireless internet and since we only have dial-up they gave us their password so we could use theirs from time to time (arn't they nice? ^^) but see now here's the problem.
although i typed in the right password and have full bars it just isn't working. my computer says im connected but when i try to load anything it just dosn't go, it dosn't even move slowly then crap out like it's trying to load it just dosn't work like the connection dosn't exist! O.O

so does anyone know why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Firstly welcome to the Forum. When asking for help more info is always good - what OS are you on, as there are differences so it helps if we use suggestions that u can select. It is not that it wont share more likely you have not made the right selections. Are you both using the same ISP - you and your mate across the street?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you recently were on dial-up then your internet connection is probably still setup that way. Go to your System Preferences and in the Network icon see if your location is setup to automatic and see if your AirPort has a green light. Also please let us know what computer and Mac OS you are using.

Reaction score
decorous west

my guess is you have the the Network settings ta use dail-up first. you prolly need ta "set order service" in System Prefs>Network. or just disconnect dial-up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Collin asked, what version of OSX on your machine? What encryption is your neighbor using on their WiFi? WEP? WPA?

OP
S
Reaction score
YAYs nice people are helping ^^

ok lets see im using my mac 10. something or other, it hasn't had any internet access in about a year so it's probably missing some up dates
the dail-up is on another computer so the settings havn't been changed on my mac
the neighboughs encryption is WEP and their using windows 7
and my airport does have a green light

and i have no idea what an ISP is, sorry ^^'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
ok lets see im using my mac 10.
In the top left corner you will see an Apple icon. Click on it and select "About this Mac". It will tell you exactly what version of Mac OS X you have. For example I have 10.6.2

and i have no idea what an ISP is, sorry ^^'
ISP stands for Internet Service Provider such as Comcast, At&t, etc.

Are you sure you have full bars? Are you getting the bar information from the top right of the menu bar? How did you try to setup your connection?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the WEP Key just a word (letters) or a Hex code like say 2CAB77C40A27AB7C. In other words groups of letters and numbers. That makes a difference also on how WEP is set up on OSX.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok lets see.....
i have a mac 10.5.7
the ISP is Bell
yes i am sure i have full bars
and yes the WEP is just a word

C

chas_m

Not to be a killjoy, but every ISP in the US that I know of specifically disallows what your neighbour is doing (because it's illegal), and will ban them from the service if they discover it.

You may want to talk to your neighbour, advise them of the risks and proceed accordingly. Since highspeed is obviously available in your area, why not call your local television or telephone provider and ask them about a basic (sometimes called "slow-pitch" internet service? 10x faster than dialup for about the same price ($15-20/month).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You tell me. Are you? ;)

Call your phone company or cable TV company. It doesn't matter if you live in Canada, unless north of the border, they send the Internet via carrier pigeon or something :D

OP
S
Reaction score
yes i do live in canada and i would just get high speed for myself the problem being im in the middle of nowhere and although i can get high speed the only ones avalible are with satilight and they cost like $100 a month and i can NOT afford that so using my neighbors is really my only solution here the problem being for some unknown reason it's not working no matter what i do! it says im connected but nothing works it's as if god is taunting me! it's maddening i tells you! MADDENING!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Get the neighbors DNS numbers for their ISP and add them.

C

chas_m

but im in canada?

As you can see from my profile to your left, so am I. I shouldn't have said "in the US" -- I should have said "everywhere" -- I assumed you were in the US (law of averages). :)

So my post still applies.

To the best of my knowledge, Bell is a DSL provider and not a satellite provider, so again: if your neighbour has it, you must therefore have access to it as well. Call Bell and discuss with them a low-cost solution to your issue. It's just not right exposing your neighbour to potential legal trouble, even if they are willing to take the risk.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok i'll look into that, but it still dosn't solve the problem i asked about. does that mean nothing can be done about it? :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.