Firewall problems causing iChat not to work

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my Macbook for about a month now, and currently am having some problems with my network and more specifically iChat. I am connecting wireless to the internet at home. Until about 3 days ago, everything was working fine. I could log into iChat with no problems. But now when I log in none of my buddies or anything show up. I thought that nobody was online, but I checked and there were people online. I learned through my school a little about networks and firewalls, so I decided to check a different wireless network that shows up on my computer to see if anything differs at all. And sure enough, everything works perfectly. I can also connect perfectly to iChat and everything on my schools wireless network, so there is something holding back iChat from my home network.

I did some searching around and found the 'firewall logs' menu and found something interesting. I clicked on "allow only essential services", and "enable firewall logging is checked". In the log I see several of these messages:

"Feb 21 11:57:03 Buchanan-Kyle Firewall50: Deny iChat data in from 17.251.248.151:16388 uid = 0 proto=17"

Something is obviously blocking iChat data, and I am so confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I am using:
Macbook (white) Mac OS X (10.5.6)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Under System Preferences > Security > Firewall, try the following:

- As you have "Allow only essential services" selected, click the + box towards the bottom.
- Select iChat and click OK
- With iChat now in the list, make sure it is set to "Allow incoming connections"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.