Can you recommend a laptop for web design?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm intending to create a dynamic website using Dreamweaver CS4 and MYSQL/PHP databases. I move around a lot, so have opted to use a laptop rather than a desktop. The number of listings on the website could be anywhere between 1,000 to 20,000, but will include very few images. What specifications should I be looking for? Would a MacBook be powerful enough or should I really consider buying a MacBook Pro (I can't really afford the latter, but would consider it if I really needed to.) Also could you recommend an external hard-drive that I could use to back-up and store this amount of data? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A macbook will be fine for web design

As for a back-up drive, just about any external will do

Reaction score
macbook aluminum 2.4 excellent for web design

i have my macbook 2.4 aluminum since january 5 2009 and it works great, for web design and even hd video editing this machine is more like a macbook pro than a consumer macbook, it doesn't have the "pro" label so it costs 400 less... that´s how it look´s - sound´s like... so for php, mysql, actionscript, html, javascript, and for developing graphics and visual media (video, photo, interactive animation, video games) it´s more than enough. it´s a complete joy to work with this beauty.:)

Reaction score
I highly recommend it. I've been doing professional web application development for over a decade, and I can't even tell you the last time I owned a desktop. Being able to take your work with you is a serious plus.

I really have to recommend using something like dropbox to automatically backup your site files online. I use an external drive setup too (a drobo), but if you use a single drive you're just increasing the number of things that can go wrong. Make sure your backup is as good as gold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
Good suggestions and remember you can always hook up an external monitor if you need more screen real estate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
I'd opt for the new MacBook (w/ a RAM upgrade to 4GB) and the LED Cinema Display. That way you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll be able to take your laptop where ever you go and when you're working at home you'll be able to hook it up to a larger monitor for more screen real estate.

As far as external hard-drives go, I'd look into Seagate or Western Digital products. I've been using them for years and have had only great experiences with them.

Good luck:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I have never done web design on my 2.4ghz aluminum Macbook, but I have done some pretty demanding work and the Macbook has preformed very well. In your case wether you go with the MBP or the MB I would get 4gb's of Ram. Just leave $100 in your budget for the upgrade.

If I was in your situation the only reason I would consider the Macbook Pro is for Firewire port to back up files faster as well as more screen real estate for when you are on the go. When you are at home you can always just hook up to an external monitor so that wouldn't be a problem with the Macbook.

Overall its just up to you. Both are great machines and will serve you well :D

PS: I think any name brand external drive will work good for backing up your data. You can get a 1TB drive for like $120.

Reaction score
If portability is an issue, why not get a big USB flash stick? More reliable than a platter hard drive, and a lot more portable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.