how to I regain disk space??

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but here's my problem.

I recently got a G drive mini to back up my photo files and misc. I messed with it a bit before I decided how I actually wanted to set things up, and in the meantime deleted a couple of photo file folders I didn't really want to lose.

So...I downloaded and bought CameraSalvage, a photo file restoring utility. I put it on my G drive, and ran it on my MacBook, and got most of what I was looking for, but couldn't find one folder. So yesterday, I decided to run it on the Gdrive as well, since it had been on that drive also at one time. After running the G drive through the process ( I was at work, and as soon as it finished, I had to go home before looking at the results.) When I got home, I couldn't find the salvaged folder. BUT...I noticed that my HD had gone down about 20 some gb in space. So I ran it again last night (found my files) and once again, my HD had dwindled down another 20 some gb. I've looked and looked for any of files, deleted CameraSalvage from the MacBook. I've searched for CameraSalvage and even jpegs on my MacBook and find nothing. But still my HD has 40 some gb less than it did before I started this.

Is there something I can run to clean up my HD? There has to be something hidden somewhere that I can't find. I want my space back!!

Lori

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you don't say what version of os x you are using

Tinker tool lets you see hidden folders on your mac - but be careful not to meddle with any of the hidden system files and folders

OP
LGithens
Reaction score
Here is my favorite:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/WhatSize.shtml
Graphically illustrates the file and folder sizes of your entire drive.

Thank you SO much...that was the ticket! Exactly what I needed. The files were hidden in some wierd path, it showed me exactly where they were, even deleted them for me. Now my HD is exactly where it should be. I put a copy of everything over to my G drive just to be sure

Thanks so much...I love a quick fix like that!!

Lori

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.