Erase Free Space Function in disk utility

Reaction score
Hi.......

I needed to securely delete all files so I could transfer my laptop. I utilized the erase free space function on my Macbook (OS X 10.4.11) and it hung up on me while I did this. When I rebooted the machine my 300 GB HD that had close to 210 GB free before the "erase free space" function was initialized now has only 2.0 MB of space left. I tried to run the function again (3 times) to see if it would delete a temp file or something and it comes up with the same issue.

Any advice on how to clean the files off that it wrote so I can free space? I know I have tons of space on this drive but dont want to just start deleting files.

Any help is appreciated....
Cheers

Reaction score
The file is creates can be located while logged in as the root user you can manually delete them by locating the file under /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/ and are sequential variations of the name EFTFile1.sparseimage

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.