USB extension issue with Ipod

Reaction score
I have a G4 which has USB 1.0 and just purchased an Ipod 120gb. The Ipod is designed for USB 2.0, but will work on USB 1.0, only slower. What is strange is I have a USB extension cord which came with a USB memory stick. The cord works fine with the memory stick, also works fine when hooking up my camera to it, but when I hook up my Ipod to it, the ipod is recieving power, but the ipod does not appear on my desktop, as if its not even connected to my computer. I unplug the USB extension from the rear of my computer and plug the ipod directly into the back and then the ipod icon shows up on my desktop and I am ready to import songs into it. I just find it strange that it won't work with the USB extension, but works when directly plugged in the back. Why is this? Is there a difference between USB 1.0 cables and 2.0 cables? if so what is it. Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.