New HP Netbook is way too slow

Reaction score
I know this is a macforum, but I thought I would post this here to see if someone can help. My Dad got my Mom an HP Mini 110 netbook last Christmas and it runs way too slow, so I said I would see what I could do. There a no intensive programs running. She only uses it for internet browsing, email and solitaire, and only does one at a time. It's not just the internet that's slow, it's the entire machine. Even simple things like opening internet explorer takes forever. When I type, it takes 5 seconds for the words to appear on the screen. It has the Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB Ram, Windows 7, 250GB 5400rpm HDD. I did some google searching and others have mentioned the same problem. My first thought was to upgrade the Ram to 2GB. But other users have said upgrading the Ram didn't really help much. I was thinking could it be too weak of a machine to run windows 7 efficiently? Is it the Atom processor or a slow 5400 drive? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an Acer Netbook with the same basic specs and Windows 7 Home Premium. It's way faster than that. I don't think it's RAM causing it to be that slow with just one app at a time running.

Has it always been this way or did this slowness develop over time? The Acers 160GB hard drive started to fail less than a year after I got it and it was slowing WAY down till the drive finely died. I wonder if that is your issue?

Also do you have the Windows 7 install media? If it's slowed down over time you might try a reinstall.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might also check the computer to see what else is running in the background. The very nature of a netbook with the Atom processor is such that it will slow down extensively if a lot of things are going on at once.

I know you mentioned that your mother doesn't run a lot of programs, but she might have an Anti-Virus app running. AV software is needed on a Windows machine but with a weak CPU like the Atom, you have to be choosy as to which one to use. Some AV software intercedes with everything and that sounds like what's happening to the HP netbook.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Can you really run Windows with only 1GB of RAM??

Reaction score
You might also check the computer to see what else is running in the background. The very nature of a netbook with the Atom processor is such that it will slow down extensively if a lot of things are going on at once.

I know you mentioned that your mother doesn't run a lot of programs, but she might have an Anti-Virus app running. AV software is needed on a Windows machine but with a weak CPU like the Atom, you have to be choosy as to which one to use. Some AV software intercedes with everything and that sounds like what's happening to the HP netbook.

To expand on what chscag said a little. i bought one of these minis for my son, the same day i bought it i went to the start menu typed in msconfig then clicked on the start up tab and disabled everything. when i rebooted the mini ran much faster. i did add an antivirus but as of now that is the only thing i have running in the background.

later for a few games i did add 1gig of ram for a total of 2gigs so i could see if you could game on it but i couldnt tell a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There are few things to be done with the netbooks. They will be slower than their larger cousins. I will not try and compare them to any of the Apple offerings - two different beasts.

1. Go on and upgrade the RAM - never hurts, ever.
2. Back up her data and get Windows 7 Ultimate. It makes a difference. The Starter and Home editions jut flat out blow.
3. When reinstalling, do not remove the built-in account restrictions.
4. Do not install any of the big named virus scanners. People will tell you "xx is best." What you can do is start with AVG free - small footprint and fairly thorough. Configure the built-in Windows Defender as well. No one antivirus software will fill all the needs, but if you keep to what is built in and augment from there, you will keep from getting overwhelmed in anti(everything) that you slow the computer more than the viruses would in the first place.
5. Set the cache to clear automatically. Caching is left over from the days of dial-up. As long as you are on broadband, you dont have to worry about the difference in speed that caching gives you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved thread - does not belong in Schweb's lounge.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with everything RustProofCom said. I put Windows 7 on mine so did not have the bloat. Mine came with XP as new.

Brian, for just basic stuff, my Netbook runs decently with 1.5GB. My Acer is the older one that will not expand to 2GB. It's fine for basic stuff as long as I don't run too many things at once. Trust me, it does not fly but does not take minutes to do anything either. Just a bit slower than a real laptop, but useable for sure.

After reading Rusts post, I bet that is part of the issue. BLOATware and all launching at start. I never leave a new Notebook stock like that. Everything goes and I start over. :D

I do also agree with Brad, more RAM would not hurt for sure and Windows Starter is pretty RANK! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I agree with Brad except I use MSE it seems to do the job without being a resource
hog.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Brad except I use MSE it seems to do the job without being a resource
hog.

Been running MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) here also and it seems quite good. A few others here on MF run MSE on their Windows installs. I have been using AntiVir for many years but lately server access to updates is a pain sometimes, so I gave MSE a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I know this is a macforum, but I thought I would post this here to see if someone can help. My Dad got my Mom an HP Mini 110 netbook last Christmas and it runs way too slow, so I said I would see what I could do. There a no intensive programs running. She only uses it for internet browsing, email and solitaire, and only does one at a time. It's not just the internet that's slow, it's the entire machine. Even simple things like opening internet explorer takes forever. When I type, it takes 5 seconds for the words to appear on the screen. It has the Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB Ram, Windows 7, 250GB 5400rpm HDD. I did some google searching and others have mentioned the same problem. My first thought was to upgrade the Ram to 2GB. But other users have said upgrading the Ram didn't really help much. I was thinking could it be too weak of a machine to run windows 7 efficiently? Is it the Atom processor or a slow 5400 drive? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
It's the machine. My little sister got the same computer and it's so sssslllllllooooowwww.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A friends wife has one. It's not that bad as the OP is saying.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did upgrade the ram today to 2gb. It seemed to help a little. I also went into the msconfig and disabled the startup programs and some of the running programs. The Norton subscription expired months ago, which I always thought was a waste and memory hog anyhow. So you think I should totally uninstall Norton and just get AVG free?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not particularly fond of AVG even the free version as I have always found it to be a bit of a resource hog. I would download the free MSE from Microsoft and just use it. It's both an AV and anti-malware program which uses very little resources and runs in the background.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.