External HDD problem

Reaction score
Ok I have an external hard drive that I am trying to use but am having some problems. I plug the HDD drive in, hook it up to my MacBook Pro via USB and it doesn't show up in Finder. So I go to Disk Util and it shows it there, I then try to format it and it hangs as it is unable to unmount it. I tried using Disk Warrior but it hangs if the external HDD is plugged in, if I unplug the external Disk Warrior starts up fine. So then I tried turning to gparted in Ubuntu to format and partition the drive. Gparted hangs just like Disk Warrior did. The HD that I am using is the stock HDD out of an iMac, it is a 500GB Seagate Baracuda. It should already be formatted HFS+ since it was pulled from a mac. I am trying to use it on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core two Duo with 8GB RAM and running OSX Lion 10.7 Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any suggestions?

Yes. Replace the hard drive as it obviously has problems after Disk Warrior and GParted can't access it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.