Chicken of the VNC issues

Reaction score
Hopefully I am posting this question in the correct place!

I have a small home network, with a server running Ubuntu. To save money and space, the server does not have keyboard, mouse or screen attached, and use my MBP to "drive" it.

I do this by means of X11VNC on the server, and Chicken of the VNC on the Mac.

I get two odd situations, and am unsure if these are Mac issues or server ones!

The first is signing in - COTVNC displays the Ubuntu login screen. I enter my password. SOMETIMES it logs straight in, but that is not the usual situation - I may have to try 8 or 9 times to do this, getting "Reconnect / OK" messages which make no real odds whichever I do.

Is this just a glitch, or am I being really dim?

The second issue is keyboard going haywire - I will enter a text document or terminal in the COTVNC window, and the screen will just fill with a repeating character. Once this happens, the only real remedy is to restart GDM on the server. At which point issue #1 crops up again!

I am getting less and less reliant on a GUI, and am doing more things via SSH, but when it works it's really nice!

One other thing - I can happily COTVNC into other Ubuntu boxes in our network and don't seem to have the same issues. Not sure if that is relevant either.

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.