os x 10.4.11 to snow leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.1 Intel Core 2 duo os x 10.4.11
Hi, I would lie to upgrade my macbook intel computer to run the snow leopard version. However, I would like to know if I can do this in one go or do I have to do it in stages? My laptop seems to be a bit sluggish from time to time and this is the reason for wanting to upgrade. However, I intend to buy an i mac in the near future and I was wondering if it was worthwhile actually doing the upgrade? Is it possible to do the upgrade from a new imac? Thank you;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums

With all apple computers there is a maximum OS that your computer will let you upgrade to. If you have the model number let me know and I will tell you if you can upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Generally the rule of thumb though is that intel macbooks will run Snow Leopard.
It's worth doing the upgrade straight on the laptop as there are ways to do it from another computer but it's a little complicated.

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Simon

Welcome to Mac-Forums

With all apple computers there is a maximum OS that your computer will let you upgrade to. If you have the model number let me know and I will tell you if you can upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Generally the rule of thumb though is that intel macbooks will run Snow Leopard.
It's worth doing the upgrade straight on the laptop as there are ways to do it from another computer but it's a little complicated.

- Simon

As mentioned my laptop runs os x 10.4.11. It's a 2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor with 1GB memory. It's a macbook 2.1. It works really well and I have a G Drive mini on to which I am going to back up everything for security. I also want to run snow leopard as I have just done a career shift from pharmacy to teaching and I need to do a lot of powerpoint work for classes and store a lot of language resources such as mp3 and video for lessons.

Many thanks,
Tabu63

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'm thinking this is the macbook that was introduced mid 2007? Model number if i'm right should be A1181, if it is then the latest OS you can install onto it is leopard with the current update 10.6.5. :D

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
os x 10.4 to ?

I'm thinking this is the macbook that was introduced mid 2007? Model number if i'm right should be A1181, if it is then the latest OS you can install onto it is leopard with the current update 10.6.5. :D

- Simon

I think this macbook is earlier. I have had it for almost five years. I can't seem to find the model number but it is one of the macbooks that has the problem with the casing which starts to crack. When I was checking about this on the mac store site I read that the system requirement to upgrade was intel processor, 12GB spare memory and os x 10.5. Is it not possible to go from 10.4 to 10.5 then use the mac box set to get to snow leopard and upgrade all the other applications at the same time? I really appreciate your time and consideration in helping me.

tabu63

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download MacTracker available here for free: Mactracker download and install then open it, click on "This Mac" it will tell you what model, max RAM and max OS you can install.
If it is compatible with 10.6 then you certainly can use the box set to upgrade to it.
Word of advice though make sure whatever software you already have is compatible with SL and back everything up just in case.
In regards to helping you, it's no problem, my cat work me up at "stupid" o'clock on my day off the little b*****d so I have plenty of time lolol

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help.

Download MacTracker available here for free: Mactracker download and install then open it, click on "This Mac" it will tell you what model, max RAM and max OS you can install.
If it is compatible with 10.6 then you certainly can use the box set to upgrade to it.
Word of advice though make sure whatever software you already have is compatible with SL and back everything up just in case.
In regards to helping you, it's no problem, my cat work me up at "stupid" o'clock on my day off the little b*****d so I have plenty of time lolol

- Simon

After downloading MacTracker it would appear that I could upgrade directly with the box set. Thanks a million for being so helpful.;D Give the cat a Valium tonight!!!:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem at all pal, thats not a bad idea I may just do that :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Same Question, different slant

I have an older iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Model Number: A1224 with 4 gig and plenty of disc (Just installed new memory and new disc after crash).

I am trying to recover and install new software after the crash and need to upgrade from os x 10.4.11 to at least 10.5, preferably the latest Snow Leopard. I want to (willing to) do it legitimately meaning going through the 10.5 step but I can't seem to find a way to reasonably purchase Leopard (10.5).

My questions are:

1. Where can I find a legit copy of 10.5 to install?
2. If I skipped the 10.5 step, can I buy the Snow Leopard upgrade, and will it work?

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know you need to have Leopard on to be able to use a Snow Leopard update disk. Legit ways (and only ways I recommend), you could try eBay (make sure you get the retail disk and not the grey model specific disk), give apple a bell they may be able to help you there too.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
As far as I know you need to have Leopard on to be able to use a Snow Leopard update disk.

No, that's not true. Many people have reported jumping to SL from Tiger. I haven't done it myself, but many people have reported jumping to SL from Tiger.

Reaction score
More data

Quoting from the Apple store

Upgrade your Mac experience.
With Snow Leopard, iLife ’’11, and iWork all in one box, the Mac Box Set is the best way to upgrade your Mac experience, especially if you’re still using Mac OS X Tiger.​

It looks to me like purchasing the upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard is the recommendation.

I am going to try it, sounds like there is no issues from Apple.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Live and learn :D

- Simon

Reaction score
I went from 10.4.11 straight to Snow Leopard for the princely sum of £22 - a brand new and legit disc bought from Amazon.

Apple would like you to buy the box set, but if you just need the OS and no extras, then the single OS disc is fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" (10.4.11) & iPhone 4
Hello,

My MacBook is the "mid-2007", Model #A1181. and I am running OS 10.4.11

I want to upgrade into 10.5 or 10.6, I don't really mind, as long as I am not "that" outdated ;D

The problem I have is that my Optical reader is not working, whether I put CD/DVD it doesn't work. If I get an external CD ROM, can I upgrade my OS?
So, I buy the Snow Leopard/Leopard from the apple store and insert it into the external cd-rom, and everything works just fine?

I live in Germany, and AppleStores costs a fortune here to inspect/check (seriously).

This is my first post here, so I thank everyone in advance.
Ammar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-Forums ammar

Your MacBook will support the latest release (Snow Leopard), as long as you get an external DVD rom (not cd-rom) drive that is compatible with apple you shouldn;t have any problems what-so-ever.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.