Gamepads on my iMac

Jem

Reaction score
For a change this isn't a "how do I...?" post, but more of a Public Service Announcement! :)

I've been trying to get a couple of PS2 style gamepads operational with the iMac for playing games like Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 but hadn't had much success with an old PC USB to PS2 converter and dual shock controller.

Finally last night I cracked it and thought I'd put up a post in case it helps anyone else with the same issues....

The main problem I had was that the right hand analogue stick would not appear as a device with any of the usual solutions - GamePad Companion and USB Overdrive both failed to see the X-Axis of the right hand stick and I was convinced I had a faulty pad or it wasn't properly Mac compatible. I went out and bought a Logitech cordless RumblePad 2 (claims to be PC only on the packaging yet Logitech state OS X compatible on the website, bet that really helps their sales!)

Anyways, I plugged it in and guess what, yep, same problem. So I did some searching around and found others complaining of the same issue. I finally tracked down a utility called ControllerMate (http://www.orderedbytes.com) and it is absolutely OUTSTANDING!

Fully configurable controllers, virtual trackpads, mice and joysticks, huge amounts of customization and snazzy visual programming tools to allow you to configure pretty much any event you can think of. Ok it took me a few minutes to figure out how to emulate a mouse but once done it's easily repeated for other games.

So, if you're using a gamepad and your application doesn't natively support it, take a look at ControllerMate, I don't think there's anything more powerful out there at the moment...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
i have an xbox 360 controller and it is usb so all i had to do is google a driver. it was easyer to find the mac driver than the windows one. it works great btw..

OP
J

Jem

Reaction score
See Mac OS X supports the Logitech RumblePad 2 natively with built in USB drivers, but for some reason the missing link between the driver and the game itself has been forgotten about for most developers.

For example, CoD2 doesn't even notice that there is a gamepad attached so the only way to configure it is through a 3rd party tool.

So what games have you managed to use the 360 controller with? What functionality does the driver supply?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
i played halo cause its the only game i got and the driver supports rumble and all the good stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.