• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Idiot here - how do I burn a playable DVD?

Reaction score
Please, can anyone help?

I've tried more times than I can count...

I have videos on my hard drive that I'd like to burn to a stand-alone DVD PLAYER. I can't seem to do it.

My current project has me burning either
A) a .mov that I exported from PowerPoint
or
B) if not, then individual .wmv video clips to be played on a DVD PLAYER

Here's what I've got: iDVD 6, iMovie 6, Visual Hub, DVD Creator, MPEG Streamclip, Burn by Sourceforge, ffmpegX, mac the ripper, VLC (and I tried iVCD but it wouldn't play in the DVD player...). Running a G4 10.4, using Memorex DVD-R for my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105. (I previously was using Sony DVD-RWs but they never seemed to work, either...)

I'm not against buying a good piece of software if it in fact will do the job.

Help!!!

EDIT: OK, I've gotten as close as creating an ISO file and burning it to a DVD through Disk Utility. It works on my mac, but not on my DVD player, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
burn should be able to do the job, especially if the source is a mov file

I use Toast myself but have you tried any of the burnt DVDs in another DVD player, since you say they work on the mac but not the player

I have had no problems myself creating DVDs from a number of formats

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the format of these videos? AVI? MOV? MP4?

I use Toast for doing what you want to do and it works great, but the conversion from say AVI to DVD takes quite a while. Burn might very well work. I have not tried it in that way.

OP
A
Reaction score
I converted a PowerPoint to a MOV file.

Using Burn, I got a message that claimed "Burn unable to encode one file -- no audio/ video." However, Quicktime can play the MOV just fine.

I came closest by converting the file through VisualHub, then burning through Disk Utility. That one played on the mac, but not on TV.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which version of Visual Hub is this? The one I have converts the AVI's to DVD format and will burn the DVD at the end also.

OP
A
Reaction score
VisualHub 1.34

It offers to burn when finished, which I did, but the disk didn't read on any player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Are you sure your DVD player reads -R's? Some don't.
Or try a different brand of media, something a tad more reliable than Memorex.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure your DVD player reads -R's? Some don't.
Or try a different brand of media, something a tad more reliable than Memorex.

A lot of older players do not like you said read DVD -R's. I have a top of the line Sony that has issues with most -R's.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not something I'd considered before.

I'll have to look into it -- it's a 2003 Toshiba combo TV/DVD.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think maybe it does have something to do with the DVD players.

I have two older Toshibas: a 5-disk, and a TV/DVD combo. Both *claim* to play DVD-R. neither has had success yet. I have suspicions.

The little research I have been able to accumulate on these models shows some people having trouble, but nothing definitive.

For the record, the DVD/TV combo is model MD20FN3R.

I'll have to try it on a newer DVD player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.