Level 2 Repair - what does that mean? (Hard Disk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.5 (Leopard), 4GB RAM, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 360GB HDD - 24" iMac
Hi there

a few days ago I handed over my iMac to the genius bar at apple to fix up and they found my HDD was failing. on my invoice, it says "hardware repair level 2". what does this mean?

Will they physically replace the HDD or simply just format it and return as though its new? The genius was very shady over his answers and dodged the question 3 times so I gave up.

Could somebody please enlighten me as to what exactly will happen to my hard drive. I sincerely hope it will be physically replaced as I don't want the errors to re-emerge a few months down the line as the symptoms were fixed (the errors) but not their root cause (faulty HDD).

thanks in advance :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the actual hard drive is failing, there is no way they would just format it and give it back as the drive would die soon after. I am sure they will give you a new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.