Leopard Won't Boot

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was at the uni today...working well on some jobs to do...but suddenly, my MacBook crashed (it was a first!). So, i shuted down the laptop, and when i clicked to restart it...well...it doesn't boot. it gets stuck on that grey screen...doesn't even appear that little wheel loading leopard (v10.5.6).
I tried the PRAM Reset...nothing...tried to boot from DVD of leopard and tiger...nothing...i don't know what else to do.

I really need the laptop working, cuz i have all my works in it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow the procedures in the following Apple KB article. Pay special attention to the part about resetting the SMC.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That indicates searching for an operating system. Can you try to reboot from the Leopard DVD and run Repair Disk now you have progressed to the blinking folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you zapped the PRAM and other suggestions included under chscag's post? If so off to the Apple reseller I guess.

Reaction score
If the hard disk won't boot, it may be a missing boot loader.

Somehow boot.efi goes AWOL sometimes, rendering the Mac unbootable. Neither Disk Utility nor DiskWarrior detect this problem. The long way to fix it is to do an archive and install. I have done this in the past and it is a pain.

One only has to copy boot.efi for intel or BootX for PPC to /System/Library/CoreServices, if it is missing.

According to Apple, a backup copy of boot.efi is kept in:
/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

For details, see: Loading…

(Before I read the Apple document, I had copied both BootX and boot.efi from the installer DVD. BootX is redundant on Intel.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.