Restoring lost folder!

J

JohnXE

I am new to Mac, and today, my power cut off, when I turned the Mac back on everything seemed fine. When I went to get a file someone asked for online and was going to the folder, which is located on desktop..it was gone! It wasn't even in the Trash!

I have no idea how to restore his the correct way and this was the most important folder on my computer! Any suggestions?

OP
S

StarManta

Well it depends on how it was deleted... if it's not in the trash, it's probably more or less gone :/

OP
J

JohnXE

That doesn't make sense though...there has to be a way of getting it back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
My guess is to try this: Finder - Applications - Utilities - Terminal. type ls /tmp and see if the file name comes up it may be possible ti drag it back to the Applications or desktop

Reaction score
Have u resolved it????

Hi!
I'm too worried because the same has happened to me!!
My most important folder who was in my desktop too, just dissapeared!!!!
I cannot find it anywhere on my mac
I could recover some of the files because 2 days ago I opened 3 of my files.doc who were in this folder so I saved it again.
Help please!!:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi!
I'm too worried because the same has happened to me!!
My most important folder who was in my desktop too, just dissapeared!!!!
I cannot find it anywhere on my mac
I could recover some of the files because 2 days ago I opened 3 of my files.doc who were in this folder so I saved it again.
Help please!!:[

Ok, if you were able to open those three files, the real folder is still on your computer. What you probably lost is an alias (or shortcut) to the actual folder. Look in the Documents folder. Click on Documents on the left (sidebar) of any Finder window. Is the "missing" folder there? If so, drag it to the right side of your Dock, assuming it's on the bottom of your screen. This will make a new shortcut. Now control-click (right click) on it and choose Display as Folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am new to Mac, and today, my power cut off, when I turned the Mac back on everything seemed fine. When I went to get a file someone asked for online and was going to the folder, which is located on desktop..it was gone! It wasn't even in the Trash!

I have no idea how to restore his the correct way and this was the most important folder on my computer! Any suggestions?

I'm not so sure that you didn't also lose just a "shortcut". I don't quite understand the bold phrase. Try looking in Recent Items in the Apple Menu, and if you find one or more files from the "missing" folder, do the same thing I suggested above.

Reaction score
How would you loose a file/shortcut though? I am still trying to figure out if this was a user error or something clicked accidentally (but what)

@OP - most of what I can think is mentioned above but I am sure there might be some other tips that someone will post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm guessing you accidentally dragged it somewhere. I would search for the folder in Recent Documents, then in Spotlight. Where was the folder before it was on the desktop? Was it something you downloaded from the web? Is that what you mean by "someone asked for it online" or do you mean that someone online asked you to send it to them?

Not only is this a good reason not to keep important files on the desktop, it's also a good reason to buy an external hard drive and set up Time Machine to back up your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
This is yet another good reason *not to keep files on the desktop.*

What? Why? The Desktop is just a folder, it's not any more dangerous than any other folder on your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I disagree. The user interfaces the Desktop far more often that any other folder. Thus, the potential for "accidents" is greater. Now, to an experienced user, that shouldn't be an issue. Based on the questions presented, I'd venture to say we're addressing a different category.

OP
M

MacInWin

@ copitl, could it be that what disappeared was not a folder, but a mounted image? I ask because if you downloaded an installer image (.dmg) and then double clicked it, it mounted as a drive. When you rebooted, it unmounted and didn't remount on the restart. Could that be what happened?

Reaction score
The file itself is probably still on the system. Now whether or not it was accidently deleted is another thing

Reaction score
Lost email folder

Hi, I have a folder with all received email on a subject, it was under the title "GMAIL".

Now it is gone. Not in trash that I can see. Other folders are all there.

I saw the folder once in some place as I was looking for it. It was a place that had a list of folders on the computer. The one I need was there but as I tried to move it to my mail I lost track of where I saw it.

Can you please help me?

Thanks, George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
George, have you tried searching with Spotlight?

Reaction score
lost email folder

I have found the folder in something called "account info" but I do not see it in the mail utility and do not see a way to bring it back. It must be very easy, I just do not see it Thanks if you can help.

Reaction score
lost email folder

I clicked on the folder to open it and it showed up as a sub folder in "one" of the trash folders. So I was able to move it back to where I can see it. All is well. And as you must have thought I moved it somewhere somehow and I did.

Thanks, George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you found it! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.