Using Developer Tools

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53ghz MBP
I just downloaded Xcode, Dashcode, and Instruments but I have no clue on how to use them. I am considering purchasing this book Amazon.com: Cocoa(R) Programming for Mac(R) OS X (3rd Edition): Aaron Hillegass: Books because it is the most recently published and i read one review that said they would recommend it if you were starting from scratch but I am still skeptical. Does anyone know if this book is useful for a beginner or of a up to date book that is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
From what I've heard the book's pretty useful.

As for being up-to-date, check the publishing year.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not sure if you're new to programming or just obj-c and xcode but if you're new to programming in general, might I suggest a "simpler" language to start (something like Python or Java)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
Java isn't simple

Python on the other hand

Learn it, Know it, Live it

Also, if you run Windows via Boot Camp or a virtual machine, or even on a separate computer.
And you actually use it,

I suggest learning Batch
Batch is one of the simplest languages in existence, if not the simplest, though since the release of Python 3000, I'm not so sure anymore...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Java isn't simple
Better than obj-c. It also preps you better for c/c++ if you go down that route (can't say if it will prep you for obj-c because I avoid it like the Plague).

I agree 100% with you on Python. It's a beautiful language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
I just downloaded Xcode, Dashcode, and Instruments but I have no clue on how to use them. I am considering purchasing this book Amazon.com: Cocoa(R) Programming for Mac(R) OS X (3rd Edition): Aaron Hillegass: Books because it is the most recently published and i read one review that said they would recommend it if you were starting from scratch but I am still skeptical. Does anyone know if this book is useful for a beginner or of a up to date book that is?

It depends on your overall programming experience, and I think you are right to be skeptical about the "starting from scratch" review you quoted. The preface of Hillegass's book states it is intended for programmers new to Objective-C and Mac programming but who know at least some C programming and a little bit about objects in general, and I agree with that assessment. If you have done programming but nothing in C, then I'd suggest that you get a basic book on C and start with that before tackling Obj-C or Cocoa. If you haven't done programming at all, then I think the Python recommendation above could be a good place to start, since a Python environment is already on your Mac and there are numerous introductory Python tutorials to be found on the web.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Java isn't simple

Python on the other hand

Learn it, Know it, Live it

Also, if you run Windows via Boot Camp or a virtual machine, or even on a separate computer.
And you actually use it,

I suggest learning Batch
Batch is one of the simplest languages in existence, if not the simplest, though since the release of Python 3000, I'm not so sure anymore...

I have to disagree, Java is a perfect language to start with, no point starting with something that isn't object-oriented and even the Java syntax is very easy to comprehend and the libraries are sufficient for anything you will run into at this point ... but I guess that's just my point of view

on the other hand, I do agree that Objective-C isn't the best first language to learn

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree with scathe. While not a Java programmer myself, I did take intro courses to programming and some taught Java because it is a good language to get a grasp on OOP, especially if you're new to the concept. That and the fact that Java is so pervasive makes it an ideal language to start with.

That said, as a Python programmer myself, I would still recommend it ;D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
My only concern about a total programming neophyte learning Java as a 1st language is that being introduced to the object paradigm at the same time as they are trying to understand basic flow control structures might prove a little overwhelming. However, I could be in part biased by my own history of having learned the fundamentals of programming at least fifteen years before object-oriented languages started appearing in production environments. Perhaps for someone starting out today it does make sense to introduce objects right alongside loops and conditionals.

Edit: As a side note, in the last few years I've been noticing some movement away from object-oriented programming in some of the production environments I've encountered. I've even heard a phrase that's new to me: "inheritance from ****" (H, E, double hockey sticks). I find it to be a troubling development, actually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.