How to set password on a folder?

Reaction score
I want to protect my folder with a password. How can I do it? Because the HDD with my information is used by other ppl and I feel nervous about it :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to the forums!

Here ya go:

Use the built-in DISK UTILITY, and make the folder a Password protected Disk Image.

Applications folder>>>Utilities Folder>>>DISK UTILITY.

Disc Utility>>>File>>>>New>>>>Disk Image from Folder>>> Find the folder you want to "lock", you'll need to choose the "128" encryption then enter the Password you want to use.

This turns the folder into a .dmg... In order to open it,to gain access to your folder, you/they will need the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
If you are on different user accounts, then your folder is fairly secure anyway - they won't be able to see it without a determined effort.

If you are very paranoid then you could encrypt your home folder using Filevault (System Settings / Security).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.