Aiport card problem

Reaction score
Ok, so I was replacing my front glass on a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. After I got it all back together I turned it on and almost immediately smelled an electrical burning. Upon checking it out I found that I accidentally plugged the airport card connector in backwards. I fixed my mistake, yet it says that there's no airport card installed. In System Profiler it shows the software versions but no info on hardware. I believe the webcam is on the same port and it still works. So, basically, just trying to find out if I just fried my motherboard or if it's more likely to be just the airport card(don't want to waste the money just to find out I fried the mobo). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably fried the Airport Card, however, you won't know for sure if anything else was damaged until you replace it with a new one.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number in hand, and see if they have a replacement card you can order.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to purchase an airport card for it. Hopefully I didn't fry anything else....Feel quite idiotic, lol.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, the bad news is that when I removed my logic board I found that it was a capacitor/resistor on the logic board that fried.

Here's a pic. It's the one just to the left and slightly down from the yellow component in the top right area.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If anyone knows (or can test it on their own board) the value of that component, I will try to repair it. Otherwise, it's going to stay fried, lol. A new logic board will cost upwards of $1200 :$

A lesson for anybody reading this....always make COMPLETELY sure that your connections are in the correct way. I learned the hard way, lol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without a detailed schematic, there's no way of telling what the value of the capacitor or resistor is. Also, it's likely that they're both close tolerance components. (+ or - 1%)

What I suggest (actually two suggestions) is to trade in your logic board for a refurbished one. Check the back of MacWorld Mag or MacLife Mag for advertisers. There are a myriad of them that do those kinds of repairs and sell refurbished logic boards. Most of them have 800 numbers you can call and get an idea of price.

The other suggestion is to have Apple send it out for depot repair from their store. (not an in store repair) I believe they charge a flat rate for those kinds of repairs. I have heard their flat rate varies but should be no higher than around $300 or so. Of course you need to check first.

Let us know how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.