• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac for dummies ?

Mit

Reaction score
Hello all

I just got a MacBook. Wonder if there's a "Mac for dummies" book out there or some books similar to it.
I consider myself a novice to both Mac and Windows and pretty slow in learning new software and technology.
Any suggestion / idea is appreciated

Mit

Reaction score
Hello all

I just got a MacBook. Wonder if there's a "Mac for dummies" book out there or some books similar to it.
I consider myself a novice to both Mac and Windows and pretty slow in learning new software and technology.
Any suggestion / idea is appreciated

Mit

The Apple website is a source of information too, and browsing it once in a while will help you along.

www.apple.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Mac OS X: Missing Manual is a pretty good one to start with. In fact it was my first book too. But when you become familiar with OS X this book might become too simple.

Try Mac OS X Unleashed or as Pulse-8 said, try to use web resources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Mac OS X: Missing Manual is a pretty good one to start with. In fact it was my first book too. But when you become familiar with OS X this book might become too simple.

Try Mac OS X Unleashed or as Pulse-8 said, try to use web resources.

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual (Tiger Edition) was my first book as well. Excellent read for Mac OS X newbies :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i picked up "The Rough Guide to Macs and OSX" by Peter Buckley, Duncan Clark (you can search amazon or the like).

very easy and fun to read, easy to understand, and very helpful for a recent switcher.

OP
M

Mit

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I ordered and received Mac OS X, Tiger Edition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.