Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
My Mac's Disk Utility is telling me that my Mac is corrupted and that I should back it up and restart it with Mac OS X Install Disc 1. I only have Install Disc 2, and I can't find a good, reliable, convenient, and (most importantly of all) free online backup. Can anyone offer either one of those (or both)? :Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Mac do you have? Year, model? And version of OS X?

If the Mac is still able to boot and you're running either Leopard or Snow Leopard, use Time Machine to backup to an external hard drive. If you're running an earlier version of OS X, download Carbon Copy Cloner and use it to backup to an external hard drive.

Reaction score
Free, not that I can find.... you could use carbonite at 50.00 a year, I think that is as close to free as you'll get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like you are in the market for a full retail install DVD of whatever OS you are using, which we still do not know, nor the specs of your machine. If it is an Intel, might be worth buying Snow Leopard and then Lion next month.

With no disc no joy and no downloads. Some Apple Hardware Test programs are available for download, mostly for older machines, but without knowing about your Mac.................

C

chas_m

I don't know how much data you need to back up, but online is not a realistic solution for more than say 2GB or so (at the free level), and certainly not with a dying drive where time is of the essence.

Hard drives really can't get much cheaper than they are. I saw a 2TB (that's TERABYTE) drive the other day for under $100. That's insane.

Losing that Disc 1 was also a bad move, that's going to cost you as well. I kinda can't believe you haven't already been doing backups using Time Machine or something, didn't think there were many left who didn't know about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I don't believe that Carbonite would restore a complete operating system (although I am more familiar with backups for Windows than Macs). You would have to have a bootable OS, then you could restore key files with settings and data from a Carbonite backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.