• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Has Apple corrupted your writing skills?

S

sursuciofla

Have you ever found yourself subconsciously using the lower case i when really you mean to put the upper case I? I have noticed it a lot when I type and I think it is the "i" craze from Apple that does it to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i do this frequently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i don't blame apple for my laziness :p , but rather programs that automatically correct this for me when i type.

obviously there isn't on on this workstation^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I think its just quicker.. nothing to do with apple or their iProducts

OP
M

Merlinblack

I don't find myself doing it too often. In fact I find that I use the shift key too much and end up with words like THis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have found that the internet as a whole...especially chat clients have greatly affected my spelling abilities. there was a time where i had a great vocabulary & spelling and grammar and such, but those times have gone down the crapper with the amount of extremely informal writing i do nowadays on the internet. my biggest problem is the use of elipses (sp) (aka. "...") in place of commas and periods making me more prone to sentence fragments and incomplete thoughts

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Im going to eat a chicken in coach_z's name tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
let's sacrifice a mod!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
coach_z said:
greatly affected my spelling abilities. there was a time where i had a great vocabulary & spelling and grammar

Ha ha that’s true! I'm dyslexic :eek:neye: and there was once a time when if i (ha ha i not I.......see what I did there) was writing an essay on my computer in word I wouldn't just click aimlessly on the 1st word in the spell chequer (sorry.... I had to) list. I actually really thought and tried to learn from my mistakes. I found that even after a few essays and even being dyslexic that my spelling greatly improved. Unfortunately this died a quick death as I just lost the will to make the effort. As for my vocabulary, well that’s just been pretty crummy all along. I don't blame the computer I just blame the laziness of mankind. But then hey, I really can't be bothered changing anything..... (how ironic! This post is just full of them!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Also whilst were on the subject does anyone else get how and who mixed up like all the time?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I will blame chat clients and unix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I blame not paying attention in english when it was being taught in school...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I actually think that Apple has improved my english spelling:

Since I rarely write english in everyday use (living in Germany), one of the few places I do is in emails and on message boards (like this one).
Since both Mail & Safari automatically underline incorrect spellings, I find myself paying attention more to the way I spell things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I blame the parents...

Reaction score
... and I blame America. Seriously, thanks to America nobody can spell properly.

I usually use the lower case i when sending a sms, but that's more laziness of not wanting to push an extra button to make a capital letter on my mobile.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I thank Mac-forums for making me better speaking.

Reaction score
Merlinblack said:
I don't find myself doing it too often. In fact I find that I use the shift key too much and end up with words like THis.

I suffer from that quite frequently. I have deemed it "The Lazy Pinky".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.