Live Boot CD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
What are macbooks like for running live Boot CD's such as an ubuntu live CD?

Is it actually possible to boot from live CD's on a macbook or any mac?

Is there any way to tell a mac which device to boot from first?

Whilst im here, do macbooks also have a Bios? Is it the same as a normal windows bios?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since Macbooks use pretty standard hardware, I don't see why a LiveCD wouldn't work. It may have some issues with the single button mouse, but that's easily solved with an external mouse.

A Mac doesn't have a BIOS in the traditional sense. It's called EMI on the Mac, but to be honest, you really shouldn't worry about it since there's no options you can change.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if there is no bios does that mean that i can not change the boot order?

If i put a live CD in to the drive and turn the macbook on, will it just automaticaly come up asking me if i want to run the boot cd?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump.. anyone know?

Reaction score
boot from CD

if u want to boot from a CD just insert it and shut down. Then hold down the "c" key while turn in your mac on
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Yeah it will work although it will be slower than an actual install. Just find a Good linux distro for mac PPC or x86. Fedora,Ubuntu,Xubuntu, have all worked great for me

Reaction score
I've got Ubuntu installed on my MacBook Pro and I was able to work out all the kinks. But I was never able to get Ubuntu live cd running and had to use the alternet cd. But I figured out that instead of BootCamp using rEFIt makes life a bit easer. Hope they add the future of selecting a custom boot order soon. :)

Anyway a live cd might work, but if you install it shouldn't be a problem.

Nice day

Reaction score
Live Booting

You can. Just go to Disk Utility, and find the disc to see if it already has anything on it. To make one download the .iso you want, and drag it to the sidebar of DU. Then drag the iso onto the disc you want to make, then click Burn. Check Verify after burning. Done. Restart your Mac and hold Option before the start sound. Choose your disc and voila! Live boot disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.