• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is Apple 20" Cinema display over priced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I got a Philips 20" widescreen 1680 x 1050 for £350. You can now get them for around £300 - it was one of the best purchases I ever made, the picture quality if fantastic!

Although it doesn't look as sleek as an Apple product the spec is almost identical to the 20" Apple cinema display (dot pitch, contrast ratio, etc) only the Apple monitor is around £250 more. Do you think they're overpriced or do you get what you pay for, i.e. quality. I know for example, my MBP was expensive but the build quality is so good I'd say it's not overpriced. I'm talking specifically about the 20" model, if you go up to the 23" version and compare other 23" monitors the Apple is very competatively priced.

P.S. Is anyone running the 23" or 30" Apple display? What's it like? Do films look good through them? Any advantages over a non-Apple product?

Reaction score
If you don't place much value on appearance, then yes they are overpriced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I run dual 23s off my powermac, I don't want movies on them so I can not tell you about quality, but they are pretty good displays for the video editing I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
In a word, yes. COmparing to the Dell line of displays; they have the exact same specs but the price difference is huge. There's a general concencus that Apple's have a little better picture, but it's most likely so small that the averge user would never notice, and for the price difference, I'll take the Dell any day.

I also like Dell's smaller black bezel as opposed to the big silver one on Apple's. Also, the Dell has more availible ports (s-video, composite video, VGA, USB upstream)

So for the money, Dell is by far a better deal!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.