Refurbished Macs.... ?

J

Joeytpg

Guys....i was reading about this refurbished computers........what's the deal with that?.....are refurbished items, USED items?....or [messed] up then repaired items??..

could someone explain that to me a little bit.

Also...i saw that a refurbished Mac is cheaper than a new one....but is it really worth paying a little less for a refurbished computer?

the difference is just like 200 bucks or so.....i think.

please.....lets hear the comments on this one! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
they are used items sent back that get cleaned out and fixed if there are problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Refurbished rightly I would say is fine, apart from the fact that the hard drive(s) are more used

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeytpg said:
but are they reliable??
From a proper reseller/store they usually come with warrantee and therefore I think they are

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
From a proper reseller/store they usually come with warrantee and therefore I think they are

si if they are so reliable........why are people spending thousands of dollars in NEW macs instead of getting refurbished one, a lot cheaper.

something must be wrong there :cool:

what you guys think???

OP
G

guywithsocks

I have a refurb'ed iBook, and when I took it out of the packing I was very pleaseed to see that it looked like brand new. It was extremely clean with all new cables and software. It's absolutely impeccable. You can find some incredible deals if you bide your time and visit the sight every so often.

All refurbs come with a full 1 year warranty and 90 day phone support. They also include a letter w/ your refurbed order and stress that they want you to be happy, and I am!

Check the refurb page....you'll see that inventory moves quickly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a refurbed eMac. It came packed in an eMac box, with all of the software and components sealed and packed as if they were new. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I think the reason more people buy new Macs opposed to refurbed is kind of like people buying cars. A lot of people just want that satisfaction of having something brand new I guess.
The refurbed Macs have to pass the same stringent quality tests that new Macs do before Apple will allow them to be sold. I figured it was just plain smarter to buy a refurbed eMac and save a load of money. I only paid $700 and I got a 1 GHz with a 60GB harddrive,256 MB of RAM, Combo drive and an Airport card installed. If I wanted all of that in a brand new one I would have spent close to $1000.

OP
J

Joeytpg

ok....so it seems to be a good deal with this refurbished macs right??..

i wanna get the 15 P.B. so i guess the refurbished deal maybe a good option tho? .....

i'll check that out..........

and if my refurbished p.b. has a prob. then i just have to send it back and they'll fix it or send a new one??

what's the refurbished website?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
just go to Apple's site and click on the store tab. You will find the specials and refurbed link at the red tag on the left hand side of the store's page.

OP
H

HLS811

I purchased a refurbed 12" 867Mhz as my first Mac in 12 years... I was highly impressed when I got it- it looked as good as I imagined a new one to be - even more so with all of the Quality Control stickers it had on it!

Well, a week after I got it Apple released the Rev C 12" PB. I paid $1099 for the refurb + $100 for an AE card... Well, with my wifes educational discount (she's a teacher) I could get a 1.33Mhz for $200 more...

So to me - it was a cost factor - $300 is $300 but it comes down to what you're getting for the money...

I would have no problem recommending a refurb to someone - with the warranty its just as good as something new - it all depends on your needs and budget.

OP
J

Joeytpg

Well i think i'm definetely getting a Refub. PowerBook... cuz i dont really have a lot of money....i think i got 2,000 MAX and with that.....i can get a refub. Powerbook 15 with superdrive, and 512 rams.....plus i'll have extra money to maybe get the Apple's Care plan....After all you never know when the machine may get messed up......and for the firt year it's ok, but after that...i'll be left with no warranty. So getting the A.C.P. after all seems to be a good choice.

plus i wanna get a mouse, maybe a set of speakers i dunno.....let's see. :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

you should feel fine with a refirb. a lot of people just want something that's never been used before....I would've gotten a referb, but I got a brand new one for the same price with a family discount....I had a dell referb for a couple of years..and it was perfectly fine....for a dell....so, I imagine a mac referb is just as reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Sounds like a sound plan. If you maintain it you should always be good to go! you may wanna edit out one word, as sooner or later a Mod will But I'm sure you'll be happy! :)

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
Sounds like a sound plan. If you maintain it you should always be good to go! you may wanna edit out one word, as sooner or later a Mod will But I'm sure you'll be happy! :)

was that to me whiteshark? hehehe i don't get it :confused: :D

OP
J

Joeytpg

Where can i buy my refub powerbook from??...a good place that have the best deals!

where??

apple store??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.