Apple bluetooth keyboard (glossy white) stopped working

Reaction score
The batteries ran out for my apple bluetooth keyboard a couple days ago so I replaced them. After replacing them, I turned the keyboard back on and my iMac finds the keyboard. Once it got to the screen where it asked me to 'pair' with my iMac by typing the password, I typed in the numbers, hit return and nothing happened. I tried several times but to no avail.

So I have AppleCare, I filled out the repair form hoping to send it in and have it repaired. When it asked me to choose what part I needed repaired, they only listed the wired keyboard. I figured it wouldn't matter since this did come with my iMac when I bought regardless if it was an 'upgrade' from the wired one, so they had to support it. I left a note in the comment box that it was actually the bluetooth wireless keyboard I needed repaired. I continued to fill out the form. They said they were going to send me the 'parts to repair' (I'm assuming this is just a box where I put my keyboard in) and made me enter my credit card information. At this point I should have assumed that they were going to send me a brand new one but they wouldn't send me a wired one after I clearly stated in the comment box that it was a bluetooth. Well they did send me a wireless one. I realize this is my fault, it was an automated repair process. Duh. So I e-mailed them asking if I could just send my wireless bluetooth one back in the box. They told me no, it has to be like for like and applecare doesn't cover all parts and told them I needed to send their wireless keyboard back.

Okay, why isn't my bluetooth wireless keyboard covered under applecare? iMac's come with a keyboard, this was just a simple upgrade. There's no reason it should have stopped working either, I never spilled anything on it, I kept it very clean, I have all the latest bluetooth updates and I'm running on Leopard 10.5.3. I did research and apparently a lot of people were having this problem (bluetooth keyboard refusing to pair with the imac) but I've found no solution. I don't have an apple store near me so what exactly am I supposed to do? Thanks apple!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
In the Bluetooth preferences try deleting your keyboard and then see if it will pair it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Probably a stupid question but did you get the batteries in the right way? Since it was working up to the batteries dying, I was just wondering.

OP
D
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but did you get the batteries in the right way? Since it was working up to the batteries dying, I was just wondering.

Lol, yeah. The light turns on and everything and my computer recognizes it, it just doesn't pair with it.

The light tends to blink when it asks me to put in the passcode and then after a while the light completely shuts off and I have to toggle the switch to turn it on again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So when you try and pair it there is no message in OSX? No error? Since it's not showing up, something is going wrong.

I own that very keyboard. I know a couple of times I had to fight with it a bit to get it to pair, but it always did in the end.

Most of the reason I have had issues is I use it with 3 different Macs and you have to un-pair it first from the other system.

Reaction score
Answer?

I'm fighting with the same issue. Did you ever get a resolution? I'm trying to pair the older style bluetooth keyboard with a new Macbook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.