Series of Questions On The 500 mHz iBook 15Gb Late 2001...

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm Adi and I'm new here at Mac-Forums. I have just bought a Late 2001 500Mhz iBook 15GB with 128MB of RAM and a CD-ROM from eBay and am hoping to upgrade it personally bit by bit, making it my own
Anyhoo, To my questions;

1. Regarding the RAM;
EveryMac says that my iBook takes
Quote:
RAM Type: PC100 SDRAM Min. RAM Speed: 10 ns
Details: Uses 144-pin PC100 SO-DIMM memory modules.

Standard RAM: 128 MB Maximum RAM: 640 MB
I want to know what exactly "PC100" means, also I've seen around sites bigger PC Numbers; can I use these as well? I'm unsure because Apple says that it takes at least PC100; Does that mean that I can put a faster RAM stick in it. If so, what is the maximum that I put in my iBook?

I have also searched specifically on SDRAM SO-DIMM's, almost all of which were 168-pins and almost none were 144-pins, could you fill me in on that?

2. Regarding Mac OS X;
Wikipedia says that, in order to run Mac OS X v10.4, I need at least 3 GB of available hard disk space. Obviously space is needed during the installation of a new OS but will that 3GB be available to me again after the installation? Also if I upgrade my hard disk will I need to install it again, (assuming that 3GB won't be available to me in the future)?

3. Regarding the Hard Disk;
Going around looking for hard disks, I've found out that there are two main forms for notebooks; the IDE/ATA drive and the SATA drive. What are the differences in these drives in terms of price, size, durability etc? Also I read somewhere that some iBook models (including mine) aren't capable of using hard disks in excess of 100GB or something similar. Does anyone know anything about this?

4. Regarding the Optical Drive;
I know that iBooks came with either a CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, or a Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM), could I upgrade to any of these using third-party products? And would I be able to upgrade to a DVD Recorder/ReWriter (Also third party)?

That should answer all question I'll have for about a year.

Thank you very much for reading all the way through, I realize that's a lot of writing and a lot of questions. Any answers, explanations and links will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Adi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. It will take ONLY PC100 RAM. Faster RAM will be incompatible.
2. You can only use a internal IDE HD. I would assume 128GB is the max but I will confirm shortly for you.
3. I think Tiger uses 2GB or 3GB of HD space with a minimal install, I recall 2.1GB for some reason. It will take up that much space that you cannot get back. 2GB is not a lot of space for how much OS's now require... So I wouldn't fret.
4. I have a co-worker who had a 3rd party DVD burner installed in his 500MHz iBook and it didn't recognize it for anything more than a DVD-reader only. It wrote CD's but not DVD's. It stopped working completely after a little use. I wouldn't recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't confirm it you can put a HD over 128GB in the G3 iBook. Maybe you can??
As for a 3rd party optical drive, I wouldn't recommend it. It's best to get one certified by Apple. I've never had good luck with 3rd party optical drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Pr
3rd party stuff

I have used a lot of 3rd party stuff in the 18 years I have owned various Macs and Apples ( I still have a lil' ole beige one piece, lol--and it works!).

Anyway, I have found that La Cie makes a VERY reliable product, and now many of the drives they make are available in actual metal casings, which I recommend strongly as they are MUCH more durable than plastic.

I am currently using a 20 gig La Cie external hard drive with a hard case as a repository for all the graphic programs and work that are outdated but need archival storage and availability. I would check with Consumer Report, but am willing to bet a dozen chocolate chip cookies that an external optical from La Cie would serve you very well.

Best of luck and welcome to Mac (not the cosmetic company)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used a lot of 3rd party stuff in the 18 years I have owned various Macs and Apples ( I still have a lil' ole beige one piece, lol--and it works!).

Anyway, I have found that La Cie makes a VERY reliable product, and now many of the drives they make are available in actual metal casings, which I recommend strongly as they are MUCH more durable than plastic.

I am currently using a 20 gig La Cie external hard drive with a hard case as a repository for all the graphic programs and work that are outdated but need archival storage and availability. I would check with Consumer Report, but am willing to bet a dozen chocolate chip cookies that an external optical from La Cie would serve you very well.

Best of luck and welcome to Mac (not the cosmetic company)!

It sounded like it was going to swap out the internal optical drive. LaCie makes great products but their HD's and optical drives are all external and work well. I don't know how well they'd work on a older machine with USB 1.1 ports. You'd need to find an external drive with FireWire support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.