Verify Preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Everytime i verify my preferences i get two dodgy one's cropping up. I've tried removing them (moving them to my desktop) but they soon return and i cant work out which application they're for. I get the following in my log when i run a preferences check in MainMenu:

com.REFTechnology.Cynol.plist:
XML parser error:
Unexpected character at line 1
Old-style plist parser error:
Unexpected character '0x0' at line 1

com.hostcyte.ramose.plist:
XML parser error:
Unexpected character at line 1
Old-style plist parser error:
Unexpected character '0x0' at line 1

Any of these look familiar? My understanding is preference files are created everytime you launch an application or adjust preferences in an application. I run Quicksilver a lot - could they be from that?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you tried running Repair Permissions to see if these change?

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
How would i do that? Is it in disk utility? I can also remove corrupt preferences using MainMenu but i don't know if these preferences are necessarily corrupt!

Reaction score
yes repair permission is located in the disk utility. just select your "Macintosh HD" from the source pane and click repair permissions. if you in a standard account it will ask for admin name and password.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Thanks for the advice but Im still getting the same preferences come up when i run the verify preferences command. Is there anyway to find out which application the preference file is associated with?

Doing a Google search brings up nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it will until you run Repair Permissions I should imagine. Verify is not a repair command. When you go to Disk Utility click on your HD icon, and see if Repair Permissions is available and run.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Apologies harryb2448 Im not explaining myself very clearly.

I've run repair disk permissions on disk utility - still the same preferences come up. Verify disk shows my disk is fine. Im checking my preferences using the verify preferences in MainMenu. Could there be a discrepancy between MainMenu and Apple's utility programs that's causing this?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you run Repair Permissions from the install DVD Stefan and still get the same problem no doubt you have an application installed that is causing this. if you can recall what you have installed recently, try removing to desktop, burning to CD and trashing the application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.