• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Powerbook/iBook Battery Recall

Reaction score
Just in case..Again..............
said by Apple:

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other international safety authorities, Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide from October 2004 through May 2005 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4. These batteries were manufactured by LG Chem, Ltd. of South Korea.

The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers. Apple has received six consumer reports of these batteries overheating. If you have a recalled battery, please stop using it and order a replacement battery immediately. Once you have removed the battery, plug in the AC adapter to power the computer. If you must temporarily use your computer with the battery, do not leave it unattended and check for signs of overheating.

Apple has initiated a worldwide exchange program and will provide eligible customers with a new replacement battery, free of charge.

Identifying your battery
The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510. To view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is printed in black or dark grey lettering beneath a barcode. See photos below. Please use the chart below to identify the battery model and serial numbers that apply to your iBook or PowerBook.

SafariScreenSnapz001.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Thanks a lot for your post! i just processed my request and they'll send me a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
They say they'll send a new battery first, then you will have to send them your old battery in the package provided with a pre-paid label.

I

IChing

New Battery Recall Powerbook 12" - 15"

Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide from October 2004 through May 2005 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4. These batteries were manufactured by LG Chem, Ltd. of South Korea.

The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510. To view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is printed in black or dark grey lettering beneath a barcode

LINK TO SITE: https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html?lang=en

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Mod Note: Merged 2 threads on same subject

Reaction score
This have anything to do with the thread about the guy's iBook battery that exploded?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
mynameis said:
This have anything to do with the thread about the guy's iBook battery that exploded?

Yeah, sure looks like it, doesn't it? Poor guy, that recall seems to be just about a month too late for him. At least now his insurance will have a better case for getting Apple to pay for the damages caused by the iBook.

-Chris

K

Kokopelli

mynameis said:

I was thinking the same thing. It seems likely.

S

Steel02001

Ok, the dumb kid has another question.

I have the same model number as those being recalled however my serial number is not the same as those. Do I need a new battery or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Steel02001 said:
Ok, the dumb kid has another question.

I have the same model number as those being recalled however my serial number is not the same as those. Do I need a new battery or not?

Nope. You shouldn't. If you concerned though (since this can be a safety issue) I'm sure Apple wouldn't mind you calling to double check.

-Chris

S

Steel02001

Actually they did mind, they hung up on me.

I dont think they actually minded I bet they are getting a high call volume and it was an accident.

On another note, apple is getting so many hits their recall page has gone down. :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
Battery Recall

Got this email today from Apple:

Dear Apple Customer,

Apple is voluntarily recalling certain lithium-ion rechargeable batteries that were sold worldwide, in systems and separately, from October 2004 through May 2005 for use with the following computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4, 15-inch PowerBook G4. These batteries were manufactured by LG Chem, Ltd. of South Korea. Apple has initiated a worldwide exchange program and will provide you with a new replacement battery, free of charge. This program is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other international safety authorities.

Issue: The affected batteries could overheat, posing a fire hazard. Apple received six consumer reports of these batteries overheating. Apple urges you to stop using your battery and to order a replacement battery immediately. If you must temporarily use your computer with the battery, do not leave it unattended and check for signs of overheating.

Product: The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510. To view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is printed in black or dark-grey lettering beneath a bar code.

Please use the chart below to match your computer with the affected battery model number and serial number range. If your battery's serial number does not match the requirements listed below, you do not have to exchange your battery.

Computer model Battery model number Battery serial number range
12-inch iBook G4 A1061 HQ441-HQ507
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 3X446-3X510
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 3X446-3X509

What to do: To begin the battery exchange process, go to the Apple website at www.apple.com/support/batteryexchange. You will be asked for the serial number of your computer, the serial number of your battery, and a ship-to address. After serial number verification, a new battery will be shipped to you free of charge. You may exchange up to three batteries through the website. When you receive the replacement battery, please use the same shipping packaging and the included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple. If you do not have access to the website listed above, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., central standard time, seven days a week, for further assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple

S

Steel02001

Yep, their website has a link at the bottom of the page.

Get it done people if you qualify!

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, core i5 Mac Mini.
ok, so I have a battery on my 12" iBook, model A1061 and the serial starts with HQ448...yet when I enter the serials into the site, it says my computers number AND my batteries number are not eligible for the Battery Exchange...any ideas before I call?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I received my new battery today, delivered via DHL, i have to say i'm really impressed i just filled the form on friday. Another point for Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
My powerbook is right before the recalled batteries... thankgod
but the ibook i bought for my dad is under recall.... o joy :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Suggestion to be moved to ibook / PowerBook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.