Open Office Version 2.0

Reaction score
Anyone using this program ? Am having a couple of weird problems with it on my machine. All previous versions worked just fine for me, but v2 is fairly much a useless program on my system for some reason.

1. The install dmg, DOES NOT INSTALL the program in my applications folder or anywhere else. When i run the install dmg it puts a open office icon in the doc. When you click that icon it opens x11 and puts v2 on the desktop. The next time you click on the icon in the doc it restarts the install dmg again and does the above. The program is not installed. This is crazy, but i could live with it except:

2. When i go to print it comes up with a box showing a "generic printer" and it will not print even though i have 2 printers hooked up to it. It doesn't show anything but "generic" and there is no way to choose another. All previous versions always showed and used my printers.

Outside of returning to an older version, which by the way does work, is there something i need to do to make version 2 work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I just installed normally and it worked for me, so you must have something strange going on with your computer. Maybe use NeoOffice so that you do not have to go through X11

OP
James
Reaction score
I solved the first issue. It now installs fine, but the issue with no printing is still there. Comes up with "Generic Printer" and i see no way to get either of my installed printers to show up on version 2.

As for NeoOffice, not an option, it is old version. I like version 2 and want to be able to use it it and the new features.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
just downloaded it and grabbing X11. Will let you know what happens here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
So you need to install x11 for openoffice.org to work? I tried installing OO2 on my parents' new iMac and when I try to run it nothing happens...

(mods: Should I start a new thread or is this the right place?)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
static0verdrive said:
So you need to install x11 for openoffice.org to work? I tried installing OO2 on my parents' new iMac and when I try to run it nothing happens...

(mods: Should I start a new thread or is this the right place?)

Yes, you need to install X11 or OO will do nothing. If you have Tiger it's on the DVD but if not, just grab it from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.