2 issues see screen grabs.

Reaction score
This is my first post to this site so I hope I've correctly uploaded two images. The first is a screen grab that keeps popping up every half an hour asking me to enter the Yahoo Password for that account. I've done this and it just keeps coming back ever half hour and nothing I do stops it.

The second screen grab shows two files. With each file I did a ''get info'' as you can see the first is locked and the second isn't.

Is there anyway I can do a batch change of all my files to unlock them all so they are READ AND WRITE as opposed to just READ.

I really hope so because I have 1 terabyte of images and roughly half of them have the lock. I used the security lock on 50% of my images and now wish I hadn't.

Thanks ever so much, I'd really appreciate a lay mans English reply to this as I'm not very computer savvy.

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 20.52.57.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What app are you using for your Mail? That doesn't look like the native Mail app to me. But from what I can see, and I'm not positive about this but... it says "yahoo.com." Notice the period after the com? It's possible that the period doesn't belong there, or did the GUI simply put it there? It could also be that the password is incorrect. If that is the case, click on the check box and make sure you're entering it correctly.

As for the lock/unlock.. give me a few minutes and I'll try and figure that out!

Doug

Edit: It's a pretty bad idea to expose your entire email address on the net like that. Do yourself a favor and take that down. Edit the screenshot with Preview and block out at least part of it.

OP
S
Reaction score
E-mail address is definitely correct

My email address is definitely correct, what is a GUI ?

I don't know how to take off the post showing my email address, I guess that was a bit silly.

If you can help with the batch lock/unlock I would really appreciate it as I've been struggling for over 12 hours to come up with a solution.

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For problem #2 try this:

1. Using Finder, the top level folder of those files that you want to unlock. Switch to List View or icon mode
2. You should now see a finder pane containing only those files and folders that you want to unlock.
3. Cmd-a to Select All.
4. Open all the sub-folders. With all selected, opt-command-right arrow to open up alllll the children.
5. Cmd-A to select all
6. Opt-Cmd-I to bring up the single pane inspect
7. Unlock

Let me know if this works.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
quick correction

Sorry I meant to say my password is definitely correct, you're right though the address should be yahoo.com without the period at the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My email address is definitely correct, what is a GUI ?

I don't know how to take off the post showing my email address, I guess that was a bit silly.

If you can help with the batch lock/unlock I would really appreciate it as I've been struggling for over 12 hours to come up with a solution.

Andrew

GUI= graphical user interface. Basically, the text box that keeps popping up. So, what application are you using for your mail? You never answered this. I got your solution for the batch unlock.

Doug

Edit: Hit the edit button of your original post and if you're able to get into it, just go into attachments and delete the screenshot from there.

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry I need a bit more help here

I've attached a screen grab showing the list view of over 800 images, as I say somewhere in that 811 50 or so % are locked.

I'm missing precisely how you suggest I can weed out these locked files. Sorry to be a thicko !

Screen shot 2012-06-14 at 23.47.18.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The most important step is to select ALL the files in that folder, which you do by pressing command + A ( A stands for All) and then hit : Option + Command + I

That will bring up a general "Info" box for that entire foler. All you do then, is make sure that lock box is unticked and you're golden!

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
I figured out how to take off the first screen grab showing my email address.

So, what application are you using for your mail?

I'm using yahoo.co.uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured out how to take off the first screen grab showing my email address.

So, what application are you using for your mail?

I'm using yahoo.co.uk

That's not an application, as far as I know That's simply a domain... What do you use to OPEN your mail?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yessssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug, I've just fixed the issue with the problem 2, thanks so very much for that.
As for your last question What do you use to OPEN your mail?

I guess I'm missing something that's obvious to you, I use Safari to open Google and Yahoo, is that what you mean ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yessssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug, I've just fixed the issue with the problem 2, thanks so very much for that.
As for your last question What do you use to OPEN your mail?

I guess I'm missing something that's obvious to you, I use Safari to open Google and Yahoo, is that what you mean ?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. But I don't understand why that box keeps popping up? When someone uses an internet browser to sign in to Yahoo, Gmail etc, and they get their sign in info wrong, it will only say so on that page, and not make anything pop up. So there's something else going on here.

Why not use the native OS X Mail application instead, anyway? It's a lot cleaner and safer to use.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess by that you're suggesting I change my email address to Mac. I simply can't do that as I have my C.V. at various agencies with that email address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess by that you're suggesting I change my email address to Mac. I simply can't do that as I have my C.V. at various agencies with that email address.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting using the native Mail client in OS X. Do this:

Hit command+spacebar. You'll see Spotlight appear on the top right corner of your screen. Type in Mail, make sure it is selected and hit ENTER/RETURN

Mail will open up. Put in your Yahoo email address and password. Done.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.