iPad information - re: using Airport Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum, aswell to having an iPad. It is amazing, but still learning.
Can the Airport Express be used as a WiFi for the iPad while traveling? If so,
does it have to be connected PC? As I said I am relatively new to the computer world and am trying to learn and understand.
At home we have a wireless router and it works very well.
Was reading about the Airport express router and was unclear as to wether I could take the iPad on a trip and use the Airport Ex. in place of a wireless router?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That won't exactly work unless the Airport Express can get an Internet connection from somewhere. In other words much like your wireless router it has to be connected to some type of cable or DSL connection.

The iPad would be able to get a signal at many wi-fi hotspots even without using the Airport as a go between. If you have one of the iPad models that supports it you can also use a cellular connection assuming you have a data plan. I have seen reports of people also using one of those portable wi-fi hotspot devices with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I'm not an expert by any means, but I've just gotten a new iPad and have looked at how to use it in a place that doesn't have wifi(like a hotel). Most hotels do have wired in-room connections, so I'm hoping that you can take an ethernet cable and plug one end into the hotel ethernet connection and the other end into the airport express to give you a wireless connection. I'd love to know if it's possible to configure the airport express with the iPad

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that may work depending upon how the hotel network security is assigned. That does not change the fact that the Airport has to get his signal from somewhere. The easiest option is probably to use one of the cell company mi fi devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Yes that may work depending upon how the hotel network security is assigned. That does not change the fact that the Airport has to get his signal from somewhere. The easiest option is probably to use one of the cell company mi fi devices.

Doesn't that usually require a contract with a monthly fee for a year or two? I don't need this every day, just periodically when I travel.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are right there. Most of them are probably going to require at least a fee. Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans When I looked into a tethering option for my Palm phone Sprint wanted an additional $20 per month,

It might be worth looking into whether there are any AT&T hotspots in the areas that you would be traveling in. I believe their data plan for the iPad still allows it to use those sites.

Apple iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G - AT&T iPad Plans - Wireless from AT&T

AT&T Wi-Fi Locations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What you're asking is entirely possible. But you'll have to configure your Airport Express from a laptop/desktop first. It'll remeber the settings so that's not really an issue. Just connect it to your router at home by ethernet cable and set it up to create a wireless network, run though the airport utility, set a network name (SSID) and password. Connect your iPad's wifi to this new network, it'll remember it.

Once you get to a hotel, connect the hotel ethernet connection to the airport express. Your iPad will connect automatically via your previously configured wireless network.

I did this while travelling in India as the wireless connection in most hotels was unreliable. The airport express worked brilliantly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And with the verification it will work, this thread is now closed.

For some reason the spammers enjoy this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.