Samba File Server Renames Directories

Reaction score
This isn't actually something running on the Mac iteself, but this is the most closely related board category I could find. Sorry for any confusion...

I have installed an Ubuntu/Samba file-server. It runs on Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04. There are 3 Macs that access it. I believe two are either OSX or OS9 and one is for sure OSX. They are copying a bunch of files to the server from the Macs. It seems that some directories are copied and then renamed to something random such as DG0909~J... Then, I login to the Ubuntu/Samba box and go to the shared directory, and do a 'dir' command. It says the directory is labelled as 'Dee Lundy', like it should be. But when I try to 'cd' into that directory, it says it doesn't exist. So I rename the folder from the Mac...from 'DG0909~J' back to 'Dee Lundy' like it should be. I then tried the 'cd' command again on the Ubuntu/Samba box into the 'Dee Lundy' directory and now it is recognized as valid. I tried copying the files from the Mac to a Windows box, and THEN copying from the Windows box to the Ubuntu/Samba box. The same directory that was renamed previously was named correctly from the Window's box...except for an odd looking character at the end. This is a problem because I must have the original directory names for these files to work (they are mostly website files and depend on the structure). I can't go through and find and fix every renamed directory in a 80GB set of files.

What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" mac book (intel) & 4 gb iphone
good question - i am having some of the same issues as well... I installed appletalk on my linux server and it helped a bit... but i still get this problem... When this happens with appletalk, i reboot the mac and the files look ok... i dont think it is the rebooting, but rather the reconnecting via a network protocol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.