• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft to merge its islands into one holistic continent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
At last, Microsoft has realised its competing divisions are bad for business, a rare smart move from Mr Ballmer

BBC News - Microsoft unveils reorganisation

Here's what he says

"Although we will deliver multiple devices and services to execute and monetise the strategy, the single core strategy will drive us to set shared goals for everything we do. We will see our product line holistically, not as a set of islands," Mr Ballmer said.

Don't you just love management speak, I hope Cook doesn't speak like that :Oops:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Google seemed to realize that the "island" approach didn't work when Page took over and it seems to have worked for them in terms of making products that cohere together so I hope the same happens for Microsoft. Because, really, at the end of the day, we all win if that's the case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because, really, at the end of the day, we all win if that's the case.

+1 and Amen. Like the editor of MacWorld stated several issues ago in an editorial, Microsoft is no longer the enemy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually am hoping MSFT turns some things around, because from my point of view, they are getting blasted left and right from almost everything they are doing. I actually like Windows 8. I've been using the Pro edition on my XPS720 for a while now, and have gotten used to the difference between the old Windows 7 and previous generations. I dislike some things, such as apps taking over a new screen instead of opening on the desktop when it's just a small "app." But, the apps themselves are actually nice to have, and are something that remind me of Mac OS. I just think they have a bit to go before perfecting what they have created. I'll stick with it, as well as OSX(obviously :D ), until they do. However, until that day comes, I will be hoping for Ballmer's firing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.