iMac and dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2011 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 16GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Do the iMacs get dusty?

If so, Should I put an air filter next to it?

C

chas_m

You should NOT repeat NOT put any sort of electrostatic or ionising air cleaner ANYWHERE near a computer for what should be obvious reasons. You can put such a device on the other side of the room, provided the room is spacious.

The current model iMacs have a limited capacity to collect dust, but as they are electrostatic in nature they do of course attract dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Most computers ( especially desktops ) are at the mercy of their environment. The cleaner that environment....the cleaner the computer and it's associated parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
A simple solution would be to just dust it, whenever it gets dusty.

OP
LoganTyler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2011 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 16GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Thanks guys. It's just really dusty where I live.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You should NOT repeat NOT put any sort of electrostatic or ionising air cleaner ANYWHERE near a computer for what should be obvious reasons. You can put such a device on the other side of the room, provided the room is spacious.

Mostly because they're not very effective.

If it's "really dusty" - then you should take care of that before setting up your new machine. The iMac can and will inhale dust and that's something you should try to minimize. Dust is unavoidable but if it's "really dusty" and I've seen places that are - then you should mitigate that first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.