Question about restoring from Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all!

I'm about to grab a larger HDD (HHD to be specific) and I would like to get myself back to working order as quickly as possible without having to reinstall all of my programs and such. It's midterms week and I'd like to be back on my feet quick.

I'm going to do a restore from my time machine backup, but I have a question:

With the new HHD (completely blank after hardware installation), do I need to install OSX and then do the restore, or will the act of restoring from Time Machine reinstall the operating system? I've had experience with cloning, but not a ton with Time Machine. Thanks for any help!

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Restoring from Time Machine is essentially similar to cloning, you literally pick up right where you left off.

During OS X installation, you will be given the option to restore from a Time Machine backup. Point it to your external drive and it'll copy everything over. Should take about an hour but once it's done, everything will be the same and you'll have a ton more empty hard drive space.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Awesome! That's good to hear. Thanks for the help!

Trent out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.