Can't open Direct Mail software

Reaction score
I am on an iMac with OS X 10.3.9. Some time ago I downloaded the trial version of a mail management program called Direct Mail. I decided I liked it and wanted to purchase a license for the full version of the software, but I noticed on the company's website there was a newer version available to download. I think my trial version was 1.8.something and the new version is Direct Mail 2.1.4. I thought it would be best to have the latest version when I purchased the license, so I put the old version in my trash (and then emptied my trash).

I clicked to download Direct Mail 2.1.4, but although the software appeared to download and the icon appeared on my desktop, I do not seem to be able to open the software. When I double click on the icon, it pops up on the tool bar, but the program does not launch and the icon immediately disappears from the toolbar. To check whether it was a problem with the software itself, I then tried downloading it onto my Macbook Pro OS X 10.4.11, which had never had the original version of the software on at all. It installed just fine and works perfectly.

Can anyone help me? I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact that I had the previous version on my iMac and deleted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do a search for directmail and delete the prefs file

com.ernieware.directmail.plist

delete it

OP
G
Reaction score
Blimey, how embarrassing. As it turns out my computer is now too old and decrepid to run the new version of the software! That's all it comes down to. It's not compatible with OS X 10.3.9. There I was thinking it was caused by something complicated and technical, but in fact it's just because my Mac is now deigned crap.

It's really quite upsetting how quickly they become outdated isn't it? When I bought it, it could practically fly you to the moon in comparison to everything else on the market, but apparently it's now so rubbish no-one can be bothered to write software for it anymore, ha ha ha!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
JUst update to Tiger, IMO its better and faster than Panther, you can pick up retail copies of Tiger on eBay, just make sure they are retail copies, not the machine specific grey restore disks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.