Slow internet fast downloads

Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of months ago my internet all of a sudden became very slow loading pages, however it is still downloading stuff fast and bit torrent can download up to 500b sec. the internet is very slow though, it is so painful surfing the web.

I have a g5 powerpc plugged straight into the cable modem. I tried plugging my powerbook into the same cable modem, and it was surfing fine and fast.
I don't know what the problem is, but desperatly need to fix it.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Download Onyx (Free Maintenance Tool) and remove all the browser cache and do a nice clean up. Report back if the connection is still slow.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend loading up a different browser and trying that. Could be an issue with your current browser?

You say it is slow, but may we assume that the pages do come through (i.e. they are not being blocked by any firewalls, content blocking software, etc.)?

Finally, does this effect ALL sites, or just some?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have tried every browser, yes the pages come through it just takes 10-15 sec per page to even start loading it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried every browser, yes the pages come through it just takes 10-15 sec per page to even start loading it.

Just a guess....

Check your proxy settings in System Preferences -> Network -> Built-in Ethernet -> Proxies tab -> Make sure Automatic Proxy Configuration is NOT checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent idea cwa107!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 CD Macbook, 1GB; 2.16 C2D iMac 20", 2GB
Did you try using a public DNS Server? (i. e.: 4.2.2.1)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! NOVA!!!!!! you fixed my problem. Thank you so much, I work from home and my internet has been so slow. Now it is back to what it should be.
THANKS
JP Jespersen
http://www.JPJespersen.com

If that's the case, you should really check in with your ISP to see if they've been having DNS server problems or perhaps changed their DNS servers and you need to either renew your modem/router's IP configuration or make changes to the static addresses (if applicable).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 CD Macbook, 1GB; 2.16 C2D iMac 20", 2GB
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! NOVA!!!!!! you fixed my problem. Thank you so much, I work from home and my internet has been so slow. Now it is back to what it should be.
THANKS
JP Jespersen
http://www.JPJespersen.com

I'm glad it worked. You shoud talk to your ISP about that, like cwa107 suggested.
Now get back to work ;)

Reaction score
Nova, gee, you just fixed my problem also. The connection is now fast again. Thanks so much!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.