Error when I restart my powerbook

K

ksn

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

I am a new powerbook user (I bought a powerbook 15" 1.67 ghz in Nov '05). I did not have any problems till now. But now I am having two problems:

1. When I try to restart my powerbook, it shows me the grey box and tells me to keep pressing the power button for several seconds. I know this is not normal as I was not seeing this box previously. When I switch off the system this way, I get a window asking me to report the unexpected error to Apple. The error was referring to some 'kernel panic'. This happens everytime when I try to restart.

2. I am not able to play movies from DVD on my powerbook. Any original DVD that I try to play is not recognized by the superdrive. The error which I get says that this DVD cannot be played on this system. I do not get this problem when I try to read data DVDs. I can even write DVDs.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Any ideas how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks for your responses!

Cheers
Sajith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Did you add any ram to your system recently? Kernel Panics are most of the time caused by bad ram. If not it sounds like you could have a hardware problem with your superdrive.

OP
K

ksn

Nope. I did not add any new RAM to my system. Are you saying that the restart problem and the superdrive problem could be related?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes, if you get a kernel panic every time you restart, and you are having problems with your super drive, there is the chance that the are related, because a kernel panic is caused by a problem with hardware, I belive this would be reason to believe that there is something wrong with your superdrive. If nobody else answers this thread with a way to solve the problem, then I would call apple and explain to them what is happening, They will ask you to send it back and will most likely replace your superdrive and that should fix the problem. Just remember before you send it back to apple, make sure you back up the hard drive.

OP
K

ksn

Thanks for the immediate response. There is an Apple store near my house and I think i would take my powerbook to them. It is covered under warranty.

Cheers
Sajith

OP
K

ksn

Apparently, this was a software problem. I did a archive and install on the powerbook and after that the superdrive started recognising movie dvds. I do not get the kernel panic error when I restart!

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.