downlaod for OS 10.5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
My niece has my old laptop, an iMac running OS 10.4.11. she needs to upgrade to Leopard. The dvd/cd drive on this machine is broken and will not work, although she has the install dvd for Leopard and for Snow Leopard Is there anyplace OS 5 can be downloaded? Apple web site has only updates, requiring Leopard to be already be installed.

Thanks,

Skillet

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think so. That's why those discs are so expensive on eBay. If she has a laptop it can't be an iMac as those are desktop models. I say that to be picky about terminology but because in this case it matters.

If she has one of the Intel-baed iMacs then she can probably get an external DVD drive and use it to perform the install. Some but not all Power PC Macs could boot from USB drives.

BTW we also need to know which disc she has. If it is a gray Leopard disc it must be from the same type Mac as hers or it won't work. An iMac disc, for example, won't work on a MacBook. If it is a black disc she is probably Ok as far as type if disc goes.

For now let's pin down exact Specs..If the machine is operational boot the machine to the Finder and choose "About This Mac from the Apple menu. In the next window choose "more Information" and tell us the results.

If the Mac is not booting properly This article should help you determine where to look on the Mac. Scroll to the section that says Mac Series and find your machine.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
download for OS 10.5

Sorry--this is my first posting, and I left out some things and had some mistakes.

It is an iBook, not an iMac, with a slot loading DVD drive. The discs she has are the retail Leopard version, not the gray ones.The problem is with the drive itself, not the disc. The drive will not accept a disc, any disc. It will only allow the disc to go about halfway in. She has had their tech person at work look at it and he says the drive is 'broken'. She bought an external dvd drive, but the iBook won't recognize it. I cannot find any Leopard versions on Apple's website, for sale or otherwise, other than free updates. I was told they do not sell old OS, but only offer free updates for existing Leopard versions. I thought some place might offer Leopard as a download, but all I can find for sale are the discs.

Skillet01

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No the problem is older PowerPC macs will not boot from an external optical drive alas. Leopard is not available as a download unless you pirate it and then strongly suggest never putting it on the computer. Good way to get malware and other nasty little grubs.

Not to be negative however it may well be time to look at updating the computer. Snow Leopard OS X.6 will only install on an Intel model Mac.

C

chas_m

I have to second harry's opinion. We're talking about an iBook -- which means it is AT LEAST seven years old, probably much older. It has a broken optical drive and can't run any modern software or modern web elements.

There is IMHO zero point in spending any more time, money or effort upgrading this machine. Get a new(er) one. I'd suggest from 2009 upwards for the best value, the newer the better.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to those who replied to my question. The niece in question is only 9 yrs old at this time, and the computer was a hand-me-down from a relative. Her parents were hoping to wait a couple more years before investing in a newer computer. She can use this one for lots of things, but for some reason, for her school work she needs at least Leopard, they tell her. So she can use her mom's until time for a newer one of her own.

Skillet01

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
, but for some reason, for her school work she needs at least Leopard, they tell her.

If you could find out why they are saying that, it might help. Perhaps they are incorrect, from a technical standpoint.

C

chas_m

Maybe, but they are probably correct. They will be wanting her to use modern applications, which aren't made for Tiger anymore. Leopard is indeed the bare minimum I would imagine.

If you really, really want to hold on to this hardware -- the solution is to buy a retail copy of Leopard (this will be very expensive, at least $120 or so).

If she needs something newer and the budget is tight, look at an iPad with a keyboard case or a used MacBook, which should be going cheap. If she doesn't need a portable, look for a used Intel Core2Duo (very important, that part) Mac mini.

The bottom line here is that a PowerPC-based machine is a dead end, and past the end of its useful life-cycle. She needs a machine that can run at least Snow Leopard going forward. Even a 2007-era MacBook would be good for another year or two I should think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.