Transmission and Leopard

Reaction score
With Leopard's new firewall and lack of a port forwarding GUI firewall option, what exactly do you do to ensure Transmission can operate most efficiently sans turning the firewall off.

So far, I have the firewall on 'Allow only essential services', and for 'set access for specific service's I added Transmission and 'allowed incoming connections.'

I also have it on Stealth mode.

Is this the proper and safest way to run Transmission under Leopard ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Transmission works just fine out of the box. I had to change no setting in Leopard to get it to work, all I had to do was ensure the ports were forwarded on my router. However, I forgot to do that initially, and it still worked great for a long time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Open up Transmission's preferences and look under the Advanced tab. If it doesn't give you a "Port is open" and "Port successfully mapped" message then try changing to a different port that you're not using. Like Kash already said, Transmission usually doesn't need any configuration but try opening the according port in your router to get it working properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You will also have to allow it threw the firewall is OSX is you have that enabled.

Reaction score
Open up Transmission's preferences and look under the Advanced tab. If it doesn't give you a "Port is open" and "Port successfully mapped" message then try changing to a different port that you're not using. Like Kash already said, Transmission usually doesn't need any configuration but try opening the according port in your router to get it working properly.

how do i know what ports i have and what ones are free??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Port settings are found in your router's Port Forwarding settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
The simplest way to do it is to use the same port number that Transmission already has set in it's preferences. Now all you need to do is go into your router's settings and make sure that that port is forwarded correctly by adding it manually. Try checking a site like portforward.com in case you don't know how to to forward ports on your router or try the manufacturer's website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.