I thought I was supposed to have a "Line Out" audio output option on my MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Am I nuts, or what? I thought I was supposed to have a "Line Out" audio output option on my MBP. I'd swear that it used to be there. Now all I see is Internal Speakers and Soundflower (2) and (16). I also see my USB Headset when it's plugged in. Where is my Line Out? I think it's gone missing!

OP
VegasGeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
OK - I answered my own question. Line out shows up in the list when I plug into it. But, it shows up as "Headset." I was missing it because I have a USB Headset that also shows up in the list. So, "Line Out" is actually "Headset." I suppose that's because the output is the headphone jack, and it's probably at headphone rather than line impedance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Haven't checked it in awhile, it may be listed differently based on using a stereo mini-plug (like a headset) or mini-toslink (optical) also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.