What type battery does my MacBook AIr have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I have an 11", mid-year 2011 model MacBook Air. I have searched pretty thoroughly for an answer but cannot find out what TYPE of battery resides in my MBA. NiMH? NiCad? Lithium Ion? Flux Capacitor? ;-)

The reason I am asking is that I am interested in purchasing a solar battery re-charger for rechargeable AA's, AAA's, 9V, etc; and being able to recharge the MBA via a solar panel would be highly desirable.

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin!

Thank you for the fast reply. Now the search (for solar chargers) really begins!

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for the fast reply. Now the search (for solar chargers) really begins!

Here ya go:

Solar Panel Kit - 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit

image_19818.jpg

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3!

Wow, I guess I just should have come here first and asked instead of searching around!;D

Thank you for your reply...and the panel you sent is larger and less expensive than many of the others I have found so far. The reviews from users are almost unanimously very good so I think that's the direction I'll take.

Tip of the hat to all of you today!

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your reply...and the panel you sent is larger and less expensive than many of the others I have found so far. The reviews from users are almost unanimously very good so I think that's the direction I'll take.

Your welcome. I've looked/shopped for solar panels off & on for years & years...and this kit is one of least expensive. I even got mine on sale...so it was even less expensive.

FYI...these units can be linked together to increase capacity. I have two of these units linked together...so I can get up to 90 watts of energy.:)

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick!

There's a Harbor Freight about 20 minutes away from me so there's a road trip in my very near future!

I like the idea of being able to link them in series too. Hadn't considered that.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick!

There's a Harbor Freight about 20 minutes away from me so there's a road trip in my very near future!

I like the idea of being able to link them in series too. Hadn't considered that.

One thing I wanted to do with these was...hooking up some batteries to the solar panels to store energy for use later. I thought that I would just get some old (but still good) car batteries for free (or cheap)...and hook them up.

But it turns out that regular car batteries are not good for this application. What is needed are "deep-cycle" marine type batteries. But these are more expensive...and harder to find used. So I'm still looking.;)

As far as the price of the Harbor Freight solar panels. Like I mentioned, I got mine on sale. I think that the regular price is $189.00 (link above). I believe I got mine for $150 each. They go on sale pretty frequently...so keep your eyes open!;)

Also Harbor Freight (in their sales flyers)...very frequently have a 20% off coupon good for any single item. So you don't have to wait for the solar panels to go on sale. If you don't get Harbor Freight sales flyers mailed to your home...they are also available in the stores.:)

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use deep cycle marine batteries all the itme when I was heavily into flying RC helos and high performance planes. Interstate Batteries sells them, as does Wally World :)

I also live near many marinas but you pay a price there...anything nautical can be nearly 1.5 to double what you'll pay elsewhere.

Remember the old Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared"? Well, that's what I'm doing and these solar panels you found should do the trick for what my needs are. Remember too if you have the capacity to "recharge" batteries, you can also get a 12 Volt inverter that will run just about anything you have (for awhile, anyhow) when it's hooked up to a battery. Regular car batteries are fine for equipment that doesn't draw a lot of current (LED lighting, recharging small flashlight batteries, etc), so with the panels, a few batteries, you have to just add an inverter and you are another step ahead of where you were before we started talking about this. ;D

I'll watch for the coupons you mentioned too...I think they are in the Thursday or Sunday papers around here (ATL area).

Cheers!

Pat

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use deep cycle marine batteries all the itme when I was heavily into flying RC helos and high performance planes. Interstate Batteries sells them, as does Wally World :)

I also live near many marinas but you pay a price there...anything nautical can be nearly 1.5 to double what you'll pay elsewhere.

Yeah I know lots of places that sell Marine batteries...my deal is...I want to buy used ones that are still good (much cheaper) or if I can find them for free (you never know with Craig's List).:)

Yes...I hear you regarding the inverter. I have one...and will use it once my setup is complete.

Here's a photo of the Harbor Freight Solar Panel kits "brain"/control box (below). As you can see...it has connections for a:

- auto adapter plug
- 5v USB
- 3V, 6V, and 9V din connectors
- two 12V connectors (these can be used with the two lights that come with the kit).

I'm assuming this box has a built-in inverter. But I couldn't find any capacity labels on the box (maybe it's in the instructions...which I don't have handy at the moment).

controllerfront2.jpg

- Nick

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't understand that you were looking for used batteries.

I avoid Craig's list nowadays....too many ways to get ripped off. Not worth the 'savings' if you ask me. :)
The last two times I had something for sale, I asked the buyers to meet me at my local police department parking lot.

They never showed up.

Nice looking inverter/brain box....I like that. My inverter has a regular three pronged socket that you just plug whatever into it. That's a clean looking set up though.....

The only other things I'll need to recharge besides the MBA are AA, AAA and 9 volt batteries....as soon as I get hooked up to do all of that, I'll be in 'high cotton'! :)

Thanks, Nick!

Cheers!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.