• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is why I don't run Winders, with contest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
Take a gander at this
irannuclear.jpg

343,600 points to anyone who can tell me what the computer Winders crashed was used for (what it was controlling) what caused Winders to go crashy-poo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
My guess is Public Water supply.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm guessing Nuclear reactor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It does look like some sort of water treatment is going on. I see the tanks for sulfuric acid & lime milk...so some sort of pH adjustment is part of the process. I also see a "demineralization" step...which would reduce/eliminate any mineral buildup on the equipment.

I would say CWA107's guess of Nuclear Reactor could be a winner!:) Could be the process for the reactor cooling water that is returned to the local water source/supply.

As far as why "Windows Crashed"...the dialog box says "your software license has expired, please obtain a valid license".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one and say that it's a sophisticated beer brewery. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well it does say "Preliminary Purification" at the top. >_>" I'm gonna go with water treatment too.

OP
thanxal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
DING DING DING, we have a winner.
cwa107 is correct. According to my source, this is a screen dump from the Iranian nuclear reactor that was attacked by the Stuxnet worm.

This thing is nasty. It is designed to target a particular facility, which has led the white coats to believe it was launched by a state intelligence service.

And the very scary thing is that nuclear facilities are running Windows! Stuxnet utilized four different zero day vulnerabilities and is transmitted via a highly sophisticated delivery system... a USB stick!!!

Own a nuclear reactor??? Get a Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I think it's neither a nuclear reactor nor is it a water treatment plant..

It's a sub-controller for the large hadron collider ;)

OP
thanxal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nuclear reactor, hadron collider - either way we die!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it was Iranian, shouldn't the labels be in farci or arabic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

lol… not only a correct guess.. but a keen eye for the details!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

This would make sense...but...many/most of the Iranian scientists, engineers, and computer folks were probably trained/schooled in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, etc....so they probably read very good English. And the parts for the reactor (or at least the control panel pictured above) might have come from an English speaking supplier (legal or illegal who knows).;)

This all assumes thats it's truly an Iranian nuclear reactor...and not 3-Mile Island!;)

- Nick

OP
thanxal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. The plant was built by Siemens. For complex systems such as this, everything is in English, no matter where it goes. Even ones built in Europe (France, Germany, Poland) are in English. Of course, there are exceptions, notably equipment made in Russia, which often has Cyrillic script.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
DING DING DING, we have a winner.
cwa107 is correct. According to my source, this is a screen dump from the Iranian nuclear reactor that was attacked by the Stuxnet worm.
So are you really telling me that this is not a sophisticated beer brewery!? I don't know if I like this contest anymore. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Your just about to adjust the Reactor core level to normal when you get "The Blue Screen Of Death" Thus killing everybody within a 100 mile radius of the core blast meltdown. :O

Never, EVER, Run a Nuclear Reactor with Windows.

Reaction score
Your just about to adjust the Reactor core level to normal when you get "The Blue Screen Of Death" Thus killing everybody within a 100 mile radius of the core blast meltdown. :O

Never, EVER, Run a Nuclear Reactor with Windows.

That reminds me.

Ever see Live Free or Die Hard? (Everyone has seen this movie- who hasn't?)

Reaction score
I swear powerplants in the US use Linux…but I could very well be mistaken. Besides, if Live Free or Die Hard taught me anything- power plant systems are a closed system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They are a closed system, but the worm has been finely crafted for such systems, its main vector for infection is not the Internet but the good old USB pen drive, a bit like how viruses used to spread before the Internet was widespread, via floppy disks.

Anyway, here's a little background reading from a respectable source

The Stuxnet worm: A cyber-missile aimed at Iran? | The Economist

OP
thanxal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you really telling me that this is not a sophisticated beer brewery!? I don't know if I like this contest anymore. ;P

Just think of it as "death beer".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.